• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Old Movies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There was also a movie in 1981, called Red Flag. Its takes place at the Red Flag competition at Nellis. It wasnt that tell known, but I have seen it on tv a couple of times

Last edited:
Several of the above flicks make my list, too.

"Red Flag:The Ultimate Game" was a made-for-TV movie with William Devane, Joan van Ark, and I think Barry Bostwick. As is a trend with aviation movies, the flying was mostly good but the story was lacking. Doubt you'd find it on video anywhere, but it's rather forgettable anyway. The only reason I remember the stars is that I have a vast storehouse of useless knowledge that I carry around.

"Toward the Unknown" was a 1950s test pilot movie starring William Holden. Great flying, terrific selection of aircraft (Martin XB-51!), all in color. Saw it once late at night when I was in high school, never since. Unfortunately, any release on video has been stalled by some dispute with Holden's heirs.

"Piece of Cake" is a six-part British miniseries about a Spitfire squadron during the Battle of France and Battle of Britain that came out in the late '80s or early '90s. Absolutely OUTSTANDING in every category (more human than "Battle of Britain", not as ponderous). You can order it through some of the aviation movie ads in various magazines.

Don't bother with anything that starts with the words "Iron Eagle"......

"Dive Bomber", in color, available on video, is good. Errol Flynn and Fred McMurray and lots of colorful old Navy planes from 1940. The funny parts are how there seems to be a 300 aircraft flyover at 100 AGL in every scene (with accompanying patriotic music), and how every actor/actress lights up a cigarette 10 seconds into every scene.

Comments on "Pearl Harbor" agreed (especially about Alec Baldwin!). Typically, my wife liked it (I did like the girl, though...)

Several others lurk in the fringes of my mind. I'll post them when I remember.

I second the nomination for "The Right Stuff." Sam Shepard was way cool as Chuck Yaeger - even if "the whole movie was insipid and lacked credibility."

Runup, I think he meant the whole Pearl Harbor movie was insipid, and lacked credibility.

Nobody's mentioned The Final Countdown, about the aircraft carrier Nimitz being zapped back to Dec. 6, 1941. Good plot, lousy script...but some of the most fun air-to-air sequences ever filmed. (In one scene, two A6M "Zeros" take on a pair of F-14A's. No models, real flying.)

Another favorite of mine is No Highway in the Sky. Jimmy Stewart plays an aeronautical engineer...the story is loosely based on the DeHavilland Comet. A new British airliner is coming apart occasionally, and Stewart thinks he knows why...but can he prove it before there's another accident?

Capricorn One, starring James Brolin, Hal Holbrook, Sam Waterston, and (?) O.J. Simpson. NASA's first mission to Mars is minutes from launch when the crew is secretly pulled out of their Apollo-type spacecraft. Why? Just go rent it. It's highly underrated. Brolin, Waterston, and Simpson actually do a pretty good job of portraying the bewildered astronauts. The movie ends with one of the most exciting aerial chases ever filmed.

Tora, Tora, Tora! Has a very few weaknesses, much better film than Affleck's P.H.

Doesn't anybody remember what ol' Ben Affleck said on Jay Leno's show after riding into town on Skywest? Regarding regional pilots in general, he quipped, "those are like the guys who couldn't make the varsity team."

A__hole.

Oh, I agree The Right Stuff was cool, but HBO's From the Earth to the Moon was lightyears more accurate and realistic...for those of you like me who have trouble suspending your disbelief! (On the other hand, I am a Trekkie...)

Airplane

How about Airplane? With Loyde Bridges (McCrosky), Leslie Nealson (Dr. Rumack), Robert Hayes (Ted Striker), Robert Stack (Rex Kramer) and Peter Grave (Capt. Oever).

Its a classic.

J.

Last edited:
Re: Re: The Right Stuff

414Flyer said:

What do you mean? The WHOLE movie was insipid and lacked credibility

Hey was it me or did the Zeros attack Spurance class Aegis equipped cruisers in that movie. I swear I saw the Radars on those things.

I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned two other key Duke movies:

"The High and The Mighty" - great propliners and a fantastic take-off from late 50's Honolulu. Character movie, not much action. Still makes you long for an earlier time.

"The Rocket Pilots" - lots of good real test pilot stuff, plot intrigue centering around FICON and TOM TOM technology that bigr would like to see on the big screen getting stolen by the Russkies.

Also of that age:

"Fate is the Hunter" - Glen Ford and Suzanne Pleshette. Hollywooded version of Gann's stories but fun to watch and Suz was great eyeball liberty in her day.

What about AIR AMERICA? With Mel Gibson and that drugged up kid...um...well i cant remember his name....bout flyin in Laos. Great movie.

Latest resources

Back