• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Old Geezer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"I am fellow regional pilot and I have holes in my jeans that I can't even afford to patch. I wear velcro shoes to work beacause they are practical, not just for looks. I use an ipod to block all the PA noise in the terminal, and I use a camelback water cooler system to quench my thirst between flights. And Yes I have a high school back pack for my personal trip kit. I know that I do not represent the image of the "ideal pilot" making $250,000/year like in the good ole' days, but I'm not-I'm am an underpaid ($19/hr) F/O flying for a wannabe airline thats just trying to pay his cellphone bill. But hey, thanks for the input."

I omitted the name on the quote because this post is representative of the problem this thread is all about. This above TYPE of individual is the problem with the industry. Professionalism is not about PAY. It is an ATTITUDE.

An attitude that should show respect for yourself and those that look at you.

If an individual looks like as described above what message does that send a passenger or even another pilot? I know it sends the message that this person is much more than a slob in his appearance but a slob in life, in his mind, and in his actions. It shows that this person does not care about himself much less those he is entrusted to safely deliver from point A to B. It shows this person does not care. Does this pilot know his limitations? Does this pilot lie on the weight and balance? Does this person take irresponsible risks?

This issues has nothing to do with the state of the industry. It has to do with the state of the individual and whether you want someone like this flying your family and friends.

If this type of individual can afford an IPod and a Camelback, he can afford to wear a clean pair of slacks and a collared shirt instead of holy jeans. It all a choice and this type of person has no excuse. Again this issue is HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PAY.

Last edited:
I can appreciate CaptBud's longing for the good ole days, but his post fails to strike a chord with me for the simple fact of not assuming any responsibility for the way the industry is today. The industry is a reflection of society, and it's just about the same for all industries, not just the airlines.

The GenXer's and GenYer's are picking up right where the Baby Boomers and the "Greatest Generation" left off. I for one am a getting a little tired of hearing about how great the "Greatest Generation" was... sure they fought to save the world from oppression, but you can't tell me that today's generation (fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan) wouldnt have risen to the occasion as well.

I know they also made tremendous contributions to society when they returned home, but let us not forget that the Greatest Generation gave birth to, and raised the Baby Boomers... the ones who were the first to ditch the suits, ties, hats, bras, grow their hair long, introduce the "leisure suit", proliferate widescale social drug use, and rebel against "the establishment".

I'm no prude, and am grateful for a lot of the social change we have seen over the years, but it chaps my ass whenever some old timer complains about society today and how my generation has ruined it. I just thank them for passing the baton.

I can appreciate CaptBud's longing for the good ole days, but his post fails to strike a chord with me for the simple fact of not assuming any responsibility for the way the industry is today. The industry is a reflection of society, and it's just about the same for all industries, not just the airlines.

The GenXer's and GenYer's are picking up right where the Baby Boomers and the "Greatest Generation" left off. I for one am a getting a little tired of hearing about how great the "Greatest Generation" was... sure they fought to save the world from oppression, but you can't tell me that today's generation (fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan) wouldnt have risen to the occasion as well.

I know they also made tremendous contributions to society when they returned home, but let us not forget that the Greatest Generation gave birth to, and raised the Baby Boomers... the ones who were the first to ditch the suits, ties, hats, bras, grow their hair long, introduce the "leisure suit", proliferate widescale social drug use, and rebel against "the establishment".

I'm no prude, and am grateful for a lot of the social change we have seen over the years, but it chaps my ass whenever some old timer complains about society today and how my generation has ruined it. I just thank them for passing the baton.

I agree 100%. The problems began long before Todd the iPod listening backpack wearing RJ FO was born.

Alfred Kahn, Lorenzo, bin Laden, 400k a yr ALPA politicians, there's plenty of blame to go around.

I have no tolerance for sloppy uniform standards, and always took pride in my appearance, even when I was a $16/hr FO, but blaming genX or genY for the demise of the industry is simply sticking your head in the sand.

30 years from now, I'm sure the Old Geezers of my generation will be posting about the good old days before Air Botswana was flying from JFK to LAX using $270 a month A350 Captains.

the leather jacket for me is symbolic of our round engine, tail draggin,all weather open cockpit roots, I wear the traditional blazer and stripes,but our company allows the leather jacket, I look at the leather as a homage to our ancestors,not unprofessional at all,my.02 cents

Approved uniform options are not unprofessional. Backpacks, stickers, colored luggage, no ties when they are required, no hats when they are required, are the issue.

I was on the crew van a few months ago and saw an RJ captain carrying a parachute. She was taking her parachute to work. She was probably going to be using it after the trip or commuting home after the trip. But she was clearly carrying a parachute outside of any covering bag that it should have been carried in.

She looked ridiculous. Imagine the impression this RJ captain gave as she walked down the terminal with one strap of her parachute slung over her shoulder. She was an embarrassment to the whole airline and her profession.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is called professional self-discipline. It is the very same discipline that drives you to fly an approach on-speed, touch down on the centerline, and in the touchdown zone.

It is the same discipline that makes you take care when you perform a walkaround, despite the cold rain and wind.

It is the same discipline you display when you take pride in providing your customers (not passengers... customers) with a smooth, comfortable, and safe flight -- not because you have to, but because you want to.

You know who you are because that pride in yourself and your profession carries over to your everyday life. It shows in the way you raise your children. It shows in how neat you keep your lawn, and in the appearance of your home. You have pride in yourself and the job that you do.

That pride means shining your shoes, a straight (clean) tie, a crisp jacket, and wearing your hat if the company ops manual requires that it be worn. The first impression you make on your customers is one of excellence. When they look at you, they imagine that you take every bit as much care in the operation of your aircraft.

When I flew a turboprop for $13500 per year I wore my uniform with pride. I polished my shoes, I wore my coat, and yes -- my hat as well. It has nothing to do with whether or not some other generation left this profession a mess. Maybe it did. But my decision to dress and act with professional self- discipline has more to do with my character and the way that I was raised than it does about what I get paid.

Bud is 100% right. Some of you folks should be ashamed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back