• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

OK, who's got the gouge and the guts...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I see your point, and I agree that on a momment to moment basis, your have to just play along.

That, however isn't the way slavery ended, or the way blacks sought and won "equal" rights, or the way women were allowed to vote.

If no one calls out discrimination when it is being practiced, then nothing will happen to force a change.

Suppose no one was willing to fly for a department that practiced discrimination?

Does yesterdays data really matter?

Round and round ya'll have went and to what end?

With all these questions for specific info, you are really asking one of two questions:

1. "Why wasn't I hired?"

2. "If I would have applied/interviewed, would I have been hired?"

I ask these ponderers this; Does it really matter?

Yesterday's news is just that. Gone are the days of forecasting hiring or predicting/planning competitiveness among pilot candidates. You must present yourself (SELL!) as the best candidate [and be] 'QUALIFIED' for the job. Some companies are looking for a specific personality, others are taking advantage of the abundant supply of labor to fill Affirmative Action obligations. I don't believe there exists a single company using stencils and cookie-cutters to hire pilots right now. Be and sell yourself. Believe in yourself. Callenge yourself 'daily' to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. If you don't get the job, they are missing out on having you as their pilot and humble yourself for the next opportunity.

WAL-MART drivers, I apologize for my inferences in a previous post. I had just spent 20 minutes at the check-out counter earlier that day and was a bit emotional. I have never seen a person wih eyes so glazed over and on the verge of a nervous breakdown because their scanner couldn't regester a price for a product I was attempting to purchase. I didn't know the individual condom packages wouldn't scan as a whole box of twelve for $13.95.

Yes, I did say Affirmative Action above and others skirted this issue in their posts. Never before have I heard so many, women and foreigners on frequency as I trudge about in my front office. I have interpolated a couple of points to this and they may be imperical and/or a little less than accurate, yet noteworthy.

First, these are the FO's(ie pilots not flying), leaving the older white Males to fly the aircraft while they work the radios.

Second, the ratio of PNF/FO's that I sense are white males to an alternaive is atleast half for the regionals and one third for corporate and a little higher in the Fracs. Assuming that the more common white male Captain will periodically be the PNF, this assessment stands to deviate. Those flying should keep a tally some day for yourself. You will find it interesting if you have the time (above 10K' of course).

I have a stellar pilot friend that interviewed and did very well in all the stages of his interview and was not offered a position with a popular and growing regional. I later heard (heresay) from another in the company, he was selected for interview for his credentials balanced with the unusual spelling of his name leading the carrier to believe he was a minority. This was one carrier out of how many hiring at that time? Who knows. Better your chances however and DO NOT fill out the Voluntary Questionaire with your application if your are a white guy! These things should be illegal and reserved for Orientation paperwork not found in the Hiring Process. It is NOT part of the paperwork completion requirement. Companies that require completion of these questionaires to consider an application are breaking the law when the rest of the application is completed as instructed.

Do your homework on the company you want to work for and be what they are looking for tomorrow not what they wanted yesterday. You will be a greater and longer lasting value to their company. Good luck!

100-1/2

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back