Oil Spike Won't Derail NWA/Delta Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General:

You gonna bid it? The -700 should have some sweet trips.

Any idea what will become of the 757 fleet?

For those who still think Delta will be hiring pilots this fall.

Just got this from another message board...

Barry Wilbur -Director Crew Resources and Scheduling at DAL said in Flight Ops 411 - May 28, 2008 that DAL was the 1st airline to make the domestic "fuel" capacity reductions and if all things stay status-quo DAL will need to hire 150-200 pilots beginning as early a Dec 2008. This is to staff the new 777s that are staffed at 32 pilots per plane.

For those who still think Delta will be hiring pilots this fall.

Delta already had said it would cut domestic seat capacity by 10 percent
after the summer travel season.

Patrick.... I think you need to pay attention to ALL of the red words you posted... The key word is Domestic. There still is shifting of airframes from domestic to international markets.

Patrick.... I think you need to pay attention to ALL of the red words you posted... The key word is Domestic. There still is shifting of airframes from domestic to international markets.

Yeah, and a lot of those new international routes are a huge gamble at best.

There is a reason the other airlines are not flying to some of the sheetholes that Delta is. What is the profitability of those routes? (and please General, spare me the "I heard from managment that we are raking in TONS of money on those routes!!!)

The proof will be in the pudding. Delta's current hiring was based upon these new routes being successful. If they are not....

POOF! Furlough City baby!

Yeah, and a lot of those new international routes are a huge gamble at best.

There is a reason the other airlines are not flying to some of the sheetholes that Delta is. What is the profitability of those routes? (and please General, spare me the "I heard from managment that we are raking in TONS of money on those routes!!!)

The proof will be in the pudding. Delta's current hiring was based upon these new routes being successful. If they are not....

POOF! Furlough City baby!

So, what you are saying, is if MARS ATTACKS, we will furlough, right? I think you are on to something Frank...... Anything can change Frank. What you do not really know is that we have some of the best people in the "bidness" doing the Route Planning. Glen Hauenstein is our VP in charge of that, and he was recruited from Alitalia, and Continental before that. Grinstein actually talked to Gordon Bethune and asked him if Hauenstein was worth the large salary. Bethune said YES, and he has done a great job since our BK finding routes that could be profitable. Some have not worked, and we seem to be pulling out of those sooner. We just announced JFK to Guatemala City, Liberia and San Jose, Costa Rica to stop in September due to projected smaller loads----which could be a seasonal thing, of course. Hauenstein seems to be quicker to pull things or implement things without as much delay, maximizing profit potential instead of wasting cash. He and Bob Cortelu are doing a great job.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So, what you are saying, is if MARS ATTACKS, we will furlough, right? I think you are on to something Frank...... Anything can change Frank. What you do not really know is that we have some of the best people in the "bidness" doing the Route Planning. Glen Hauenstein is our VP in charge of that, and he was recruited from Alitalia, and Continental before that. Grinstein actually talked to Gordon Bethune and asked him if Hauenstein was worth the large salary. Bethune said YES, and he has done a great job since our BK finding routes that could be profitable. Some have not worked, and we seem to be pulling out of those sooner. We just announced JFK to Guatemala City, Liberia and San Jose, Costa Rica to stop in September due to projected smaller loads----which could be a seasonal thing, of course. Hauenstein seems to be quicker to pull things or implement things without as much delay, maximizing profit potential instead of wasting cash. He and Bob Cortelu are doing a great job.

Bye Bye--General Lee

As in "top men" from Indiana Jones?

General:

You gonna bid it? The -700 should have some sweet trips.

Any idea what will become of the 757 fleet?

Ummm, yes. I have heard some new routes on the 737-700 will be hot and high like Quito and Vail, and other special missions that the 738 may not be able to handle. Since the pay will be the same as the 738 eventually, I don't think those trips will be junior, so it may be tougher to get that ellusive "Vail layover."(although Quito isn't tough to get on the ER (757)---a 3 day worth about 11 hours). I hope to be able to bid it for the next entitlement, although I am also looking at the 765 (only another 9 month hold) to see some larger cities in Europe and HNL 3 day trips worth almost 20 hours. We'll see. It is nice to have options.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Bye Bye--General Lee

First of all, how would you know if they are doing a "great job?" Are you privy to all of the financials inside of the BOD meetings? Are Delta's financials outshining everyone else, or are they sucking just as bad or worse? Looking at the public disclosures, it is clearly the latter.

The funny thing is, if you ask me or any other airline executive if we are worth our bloated salaries, we will always, unequivocally answer in the affirmative.

Most of the airline employees seem to think that is a bunch of crap but I am glad to see you are a true believer!

First of all, how would you know if they are doing a "great job?" Are you privy to all of the financials inside of the BOD meetings? Are Delta's financials outshining everyone else, or are they sucking just as bad or worse? Looking at the public disclosures, it is clearly the latter.

The funny thing is, if you ask me or any other airline executive if we are worth our bloated salaries, we will always, unequivocally answer in the affirmative.

Most of the airline employees seem to think that is a bunch of crap but I am glad to see you are a true believer!

How do I know they are doing a great job? Compared to the guys that left during BK, I would say they are doing VERY WELL. Do you even know who was in charge of that before our BK? Well, SHE was horrible, and we are very lucky to have Hauenstein. He has tapped into great markets and put us on a good path towards profitability. The problem here is FUEL. (get that in your noggin Frank)

And, I think our financials ARE BETTER than any Legacy out there. Southwest does well because of the hedges, and same with Alaska. (they have 50% at $70 a barrel) We are number 3, and we are acquiring NWA to get some of their $3 billion in cash---to amass $7 billion total to get us through this fuel crisis. Man Frank, you can't see the forest through the trees. I think Hauenstein and Cortelu are worth their salaries. Others in the business are NOT, but they are. But, you of course know better....... And believe it or not those two come to newhire introductions and Incommand seminars (new Captains)---and they do impress. Luckily you will never meet them.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Frank,

Liquidation isn't the only way to make money. At least give the guys at Delta credit for trying to fly their way out of a profit loss after bankruptcy.

Max power, pitch up, speed brakes in, pilot monitoring calls revenue trends.

Latest resources

Back