• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Oil Hits $65 a barrel!, Holy Crap!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How long has it been since a refinery was built? Long time. This isn't Bush's fault. It's not a singular party issue. That fact is that both parties are recieving some nice coin to not open domestic areas for drilling, for not allowing new refineries to be built, etc. If we tried, propane power wouldn't be hard to do...heck, hydrogen power wouldn't be hard to do either. Quite the infrastructure to build, but the longer we don't do anything, the worse it's going to get.
All you can do is use fuel efficient cars or ride your bike...

Know what upsets me? My generations "car" legacy is pretty sucky. My Dad had real muscle cars...all we've got are freakin' hybrids.

wrxpilot said:
While hardly a scientific sampling of the US economy, I have personally noticed many goods becoming more expensive. Things such as groceries. If inflation starts to become a problem, and the housing market is at a peak, then it could get a little interesting. I like to think we are not going to see a hard recession as a result, but if things can continue as they are we will certainly see a dip in the economy.

Oil companies are reaping record profits right now, which is interesting.

Well, when the market goes bust and the real estate market collapses, the nit-wits with interest only/negative amortization loans who have been making my property tax skyrocket will be SOL.

Nu

I wonder if the government saw this all coming.

Remember that October 17th the BANKRUPTCY LAWS change....

Coincidence, or did they know that oil supply problems were coming that might cause some problems???

Jet

T. Boone Pickens was on CNBC today saying that he saw $75/bbl soon. After today's $65/bbl, that's not that shocking...but since he's been right so much of late, it's an important note.

$75.00/bbl would mean about $3.00/gallon gasoline. Fun times are coming. Dang I miss $0.85/gallon gasoline in 1998. Oh the good 'ole days.

How high are oil prices going to have to go before we start seeing alternatives make a difference? $10.00/gallon??

Jet

jetflyer said:
T. Boone Pickens was on CNBC today saying that he saw $75/bbl soon. After today's $65/bbl, that's not that shocking...but since he's been right so much of late, it's an important note.

$75.00/bbl would mean about $3.00/gallon gasoline. Fun times are coming. Dang I miss $0.85/gallon gasoline in 1998. Oh the good 'ole days.

How high are oil prices going to have to go before we start seeing alternatives make a difference? $10.00/gallon??

Jet

Some are predicting 100/bbl by next summer. Ouch....

NuGuy said:
Well, when the market goes bust and the real estate market collapses, the nit-wits with interest only/negative amortization loans who have been making my property tax skyrocket will be SOL.

Nu

Yes, they sure will. I will hardly have much sympathy for them either. It is a bubble fueled mostly be greed and partly by stupidity. As to why some of these people let it all hang out on the assumption interest rates would never go up is beyond me. The really interesting part about all this is that we now have new bankruptcy laws. When (not if) the housing bubble pops, there’s going to be a lot of people under a big pile of debt that the cannot simply erase w/ bankruptcy.

Bryan D said:
High oil prices are Bushies present to his fellow oil men back home. A news report recently stated that high oil prices are a result of a lack of refineries here in the US. Seems strange that we had enough refineries until all of the sudden...boom there it is.

So how did Bush go back in time and convince the Indians and Chinese to have a lot of people and convince them to start buying cars so that they would use up the slack in the petroleum production capacity? India and China are using lots more fuel than 5 years ago

Some of you can find any reason to blame Bush. Its our own fault we are so dependent on oil.

jetflyer said:
This sux! Who should we get mad at? I feel like rioting:) :)

Jet
Perfect! The other day I was discussing my 14" barreled Remington 1100 project and my dad asked me, "What the hell do you need a sawed off shotgun for?"

I told him I filled in that blank on the BATF form with "For any and all lawful purposes". Thanks for giving me something more tangible to say the next time someone asks me that question.

414Flyer said:
So how did Bush go back in time and convince the Indians and Chinese to have a lot of people and convince them to start buying cars so that they would use up the slack in the petroleum production capacity? India and China are using lots more fuel than 5 years ago

Some of you can find any reason to blame Bush. Its our own fault we are so dependent on oil.

Good Bush, that is why he gave the poor oil companies huge tax breaks in his latest energy bill. He's got his right?

AA :cool:

Latest resources

Back