• Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8tor4239

This was a memo that came out today

To:​
All Team Members

– Corporate Safety, Security and Compliance

Subject:​
TSA BANS CIGARETTE LIGHTERS

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has issued a ruling that will ban all lighters on board commercial aircraft beginning April 14, 2005. Lighters of all types were added to the list of prohibited items on December 14, 2004, when President Bush signed into law the Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act. This ruling not only prohibits passengers from carrying lighters on board, it also prohibits airline employees from carrying lighters into the sterile area.

According to the TSA, the sterile area is any part of the airport facility or aircraft cabin to which passengers have access after clearing the security checkpoint. It is important not to assume that crew members will be able to carry lighters in their crew bags. The alternative for __ team members is to use matches, which currently are still allowed, at a maximum of four books per person. Please note, however, that the TSA has not made its final ruling on whether matches will be added to this ban.

It is our responsibility to ensure that __ customers and team members understand this new restriction. In order to prevent enforcement actions in the future, please make sure that you do not carry lighters when flying or working in sterile areas. This ruling has slightly different implications for team members in the Macon and Baton Rouge hangars. Additional information will be distributed to those team members by their local leaders.
Reminders will be sent to team members as the deadline approaches. If you have questions about this new rule, please use the ______or speak with your supervisor or manager.

Thank you for what I know you will do to ensure we stay compliant.

SMOKERS ARE DOOMED

Last edited:
This isnt new! We have known about it forever, but at least it gives me another chance to talk about how stupid and wasteful the TSA is!

The new part to me is the fact that crew members can not have lighters.. I am an FFDO, and I can have a loaded pistol, a crash axe behind my seat, and access to anywhere in the sterile area via my sida badge.. I have been through MANY MANY MANY psyc exams and back ground checks by the Airport authority and the federal government. I am a smoker and i can not have a lighter.. That is what is new to me..

I guess stock in Matches will go up.

What happens when they ban matches to us smokers?

My shock is because it includes flight crews...

Last edited:
I'm already working on not smoking (doing well with it actually) but I'm more worried about the TSA idiots throwing matches in that mix too. We will have riots when folks spend 2 hours in line for "screening" and cant have a smoke after being told what to do by someone who dosent even have a high school diploma.

You can't smoke in most airports already, so waiting in line for two hours to get through security is already as riot-worthy as it will be a month from now.

Crew members can smoke in just about every airport in the country... There are a few exceptions, but for the most part all airports have and outside smoking area accessable by crews that are doing turns at the outstation.

I might change my signature on this forum to "I can carry a gun to work but cant carry a cigarette lighter".

I will do it after we sign a TA.. Dont forget ASA informational picketting Thursday March 17 2005.. ATL airport..

av8tor4239 said:
What happens when they ban matches to us smokers?

Magnifying glass?

Who would have thought that a skill developed at an early age to fry ants would come in handy in adult life.

Of course it would only work on sunny days.

Last edited:
Might have to stick our heads into the aft end of a turbine to get a light.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back