Officially a van driver now!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Princedietrich said:
175 to the middle marker, then hit the brakes.

It's much fun. :)
WORD.

Okay, that was lame. Lol :D

Also word to the wise. If you accidentally pull the condition lever to idle cutoff instead of low idle, DON'T try to fix it and push the condition lever back to low idle. I've never done it, but I hear it can really burn up the turbines. It also gives you a free tug ride into the ramp. :)

As said before, fly safe and be smart in that airplane. If you float 311 in FWA, plan accordingly. FWA-MKE equals 40nm off shore at the furthest point. Ya, it's a reliable engine, but are you willing to bet your life on it?? Ask the old Omaha pilot. He did an excellent job but I'm sure he has a different view about the PT6 now.

USC328 said:
Also word to the wise. If you accidentally pull the condition lever to idle cutoff instead of low idle, DON'T try to fix it and push the condition lever back to low idle. I've never done it, but I hear it can really burn up the turbines. It also gives you a free tug ride into the ramp.

Oh, so you're the one who burned up that engine? LMAO!!! I've heard about you!!!

Nope, wasn't me. I was never in the flight department. Some Lear guys know who it was and they will vouch for me. I was in CMH that night and saw the Caravan being tugged back into the ramp.

USC328 said:
Also word to the wise. If you accidentally pull the condition lever to idle cutoff instead of low idle, DON'T try to fix it and push the condition lever back to low idle. I've never done it, but I hear it can really burn up the turbines. It also gives you a free tug ride into the ramp. :)

As said before, fly safe and be smart in that airplane. If you float 311 in FWA, plan accordingly. FWA-MKE equals 40nm off shore at the furthest point. Ya, it's a reliable engine, but are you willing to bet your life on it?? Ask the old Omaha pilot. He did an excellent job but I'm sure he has a different view about the PT6 now.
Funny story... on my first night as a new 'Van pilot I had another company pilot riding along. This guy was pretty intimidating to me, especially since I was sooo new to the plane/turbine, 135 world, and the "pressure" of UPS, etc. Well, he was barking orders at me the whole flight down, which was only 30 mins, so I was really nervous trying to get all the unfamiliar paperwork done in a short amount of time. We landed, and as I was turning off the runway I reached for the condition lever and pulled it from High Idle to Low Idle........and right past that into Cut Off. Bleh. Dead engine. I was freakin out! We were half on the runway, half on the taxiway, lol! I was so nervous and embarrased. The detent for the Condition Lever was pretty much non-existant on that particular plane, so it was very easy to move it right into Shut Off accidentally, and that being my first flight in that plane, well...lol. Funny story though.

its easy to make fun...but as mentioned above, the gates for the condition lever in the vans wears down very quickly to the point where there is nothing left but a nub. and unfortunately (ive never understood this one) you are taught to go to hi idle on takeoff and low idle on touchdown. so you can see the propensity to slip into cutoff is there...the key is, as mentioned, to not jump it back up when you have lost too much turbine speed ;)

Princedietrich said:
175 to the middle marker, then hit the brakes.

It's much fun. :)

That's crazy talk, you can't do that!!! Vans are so hard to slow down. And how could you be that fast with the 100ft/lbs per minute power reduction to avoid shock cooling?!! :laugh:

APPROACH CHECKLIST

Airspeed Warn CB : Pulled
Redline Speed : Ignore
Big iron traffic in front of you that ATC vectored you around because they thought you'd get in the way : Ride their ass

Last edited:
Lol :)

osu_av8r said:
That's crazy talk, you can't do that!!! Vans are so hard to slow down. And how could you be that fast with the 100ft/lbs per minute power reduction to avoid shock cooling?!! :laugh:

APPROACH CHECKLIST

Airspeed Warn CB : Pulled
Redline Speed : Ignore
Big iron traffic in front of you that ATC vectored you around because they thought you'd get in the way : Ride their ass

Wow, that's real professional. Looks like Washka trained you well.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back