• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Off topic.......Living in New England

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll second the Falmouth, Yarmouth, Cumberland area just on the norht side of Portland, ME. Nice, next to the ocean, but minimal tourist trappings. I dunno if New England is really the place to surf, however. The surfers pray for hurricanes. York (southern coast of Maine) is probably one of the best areas for it, and within your specified distance from Boston. You'll find that in Maine property gets cheaper with every mile traveled north. By the time you get to Eastport, Houlton, and the like you can buy 4 bedrooms and land for less than 100,000. However in the First World (Southern Maine) the same house is a more realistic 300,000. As for taxes, Maine put a Democrat in the Governor's Mansion. I needn't say more.

Maine

I am sitting in Falmouth, Maine as I type this message. Falmouth is nice but very expensive and the property taxes will eat you alive. The drive to BOS isn't too bad, they are widening the Maine turnpike so when the Massholes come to visit in the summer the traffic shouldn't be too congested.
It is 105 miles from the Portland Jetport to Logan airport in Boston.
Home prices in southern Maine have skyrocketed in the last few years. If I were you, I would try to find a home in the Saco/Biddeford area. It's close to the ocean, close to the highway and on the outskirts of Portland.
Goodluck......

Maine is great. Grew up there and it only took me a few years to shake the accent. A-YA....But if you move to NH you would be giving yourself a 6% pay raise. I live in Manchester, no income tax, no sales tax. I rent to I also save on property tax. Even if you buy its really not as bad as many places in CT or MA.

Southern NH is pretty expensive. A little more central and the prices go way down. Outlying areas from MHT are reasonable. Plus Flight Line, an van service, gives crew members a fare of 17$ for MHT to BOS or vice-versa. Very handy with the commute.

After some of the other posts I thought I'd add to what has been said. I grew up in Central Maine, (Augusta, Waterville area, specifically Oakland), much cheaper than southern Maine. Extra hour on the commute, the way I drive. Pretty area, great schools, and cheaper real estate. Also, better cheer on the Red Sox if you move here. Don't won't Yankees fans.:D

I'll jump on the Maine is great bandwagon. I've lived in NY, FL, TX, OH and Maine is by far the best place I've ever lived. The scenery is beautiful, the people are nice, and the prices are reasonable (compared to other parts of NE). I'm 5 minutes from the beach, 60 minutes from the mountains, and under 2 hours from downtown Boston.

I live just south of Portland and commute to Boston a few times a week. The drive is easy, unless you're going south on a summer Sunday afternoon, or north on a summer Friday afternoon. Driving "with traffic" (80ish) it takes me 1:45 to get to Logan.

Like most parts of the country, real-estate prices have gone nuts, but you can still find a pretty good place in the upper 100's. I'll second the Saco/Biddeford area. The prices are less then the Portland area, yet you're still close enough to the city of Portland that a drive in for dinner isn't such a big deal. Plus, you're that much closer to Boston.

I know a good realtor that can help you out if you'd like more info. PM me if you want the number.

Latest resources

Back