Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

justApilot

Dawn Patroller
To make a short story long....We have been considering moving to back NE this past year. I am pretty familiar with Southern NE, but not with anything north of CT. We are thinking about NH, to take advantage of the lack of taxes. But it doesn't have to be NH.

Must haves are: (not necessarily in order of importance)

-good school system
-nice,safe town for the family, with all the necessities close by...movies, mall, entertainment, restaurants (good Mexican a must), etc
-a town that doesn't "shut down" after the fall season
-on the coast (read: surf)
-decent skiing within a few hours drive
-within 60-75 minutes of Boston Logan

Thanks

My kids lived in SE Coastal Maine for years. My youngest also lived in Northern NH for a while. Maine was better. Portland (PWM) is a very cool town.
Don't know about commute to Logan though.

I was born and raised in RI. Its a beautiful state.
Some communities that come to mind are
East Greenwich, RI excellent schools, but expensive properties and houses. I grew up in EG and I loved it, very very safe.

Barrington, RI same as EG
Warwick, RI more affordable housing and good schools
Lincoln, RI not sure but a nice town
North Kingstown, RI affordable housing and good schools

--Anywhere in RI will give you a 3 hour drive to skiing in NH, 4 hours to maine or VT
--the beaches in RI are amazing at most about 45 minutes from the farthest point in the state
--Most towns are within an hour and a half to BOS logan on the highway. The drive is very easy as long as you dont do it during a rush hour.
--Also there is a service called Logan Express which leaves from towns around BOS every half hour for about 20 round trip.

PM me if you need any additional information.
I consider myself a RI ambassador

I am moving to MKE for a job, and MKE seems like a nice city, but I know I will miss the ocean
Good Luck

D

I appreciate the info very much, I/we will be researching these and other places. Thanks again.

I lived in Southern NH for a year about 10 yrs ago.. Town called Plaistow. It was just over the boarder from Haverhill MA right off 495. About an hour to logan.

Nice area close to the coast. Out away from major congestion, but it was building up quickly. Some of the areas around there had reasonable housing, others were out of sight.

No sales or income taxes in NH but watch out for property taxes...

I'd try the southern NH coastal area and southern Maine. Portsmouth is a great town. Anywhere outside of Portsmouth wouldn't be too bad. Stay away from the Boston area unless you want to pay 350k for an average 3 bedroom that needs work and has minimal land.

I'm actually hoping to move away from here!!!

Mr. I.

I grew up in Mass and lived in NH for about 8 years in southern NH and the upper Conn valley. Wish i was back there but the cost of living is pretty prohibitive. Id say the Portsmouth/Stratham/Durham area or sw corner of Maine would be ok. Portland is real nice too.

My dad builds houses in North Kingstown- Im not sure exactly what is considered "affordable," but I do know that the most inexpensive houses out there are at least 300K. The schools are good, or at least as good as public schools can get. The people are very nice, and it is very safe.

Or you can try halfway between ocean/airport. NE corner of CT is beutiful, still fairly affordable, less than an hour from CT/RI beaches, and with the new tunnel, just over an hour to Logan. Try (Thompson,Pomfret,Woodstock) All with exc. schools.
Cheers

Grew up in Maine and Loved it. Beautiful state and great schools. Southern Maine is nice. If I were able to move back I'd move to Falmouth or Yarmouth, both in the Portland area. Easy drive to Boston and ski resorts nearby. Coast is right there and you're only down the road from L.L. Bean. Also, Maine has the lowest crime rate in the nation. Best of luck with your search.

Latest resources

Back