• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Off the street hiring questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
woah, i had no idea- I had a friend who graduated from Riddle, did a few months of training in OKC and got his first job at a small towered airport in a big city, he said he was going to be making bank- hmm, 32,000 doesn't exactly seem like a lot of 'bank' to me. Unfortunate, I know the hard work involved to get to that level- just like us regional pilot guys.

woah, i had no idea- I had a friend who graduated from Riddle, did a few months of training in OKC and got his first job at a small towered airport in a big city, he said he was going to be making bank- hmm, 32,000 doesn't exactly seem like a lot of 'bank' to me. Unfortunate, I know the hard work involved to get to that level- just like us regional pilot guys.

The FAA imposed a new pay scale and set of working rules (I will not call it a contract because that would imply it was an agreement between two parties, which it was not) on September
3rd of last year.

I would strongly recommend to EVERYONE to do your research before committing yourself to this job...not only about pay, but working conditions, morale, quality of life, etc.

I was told by our newest new-hire (at ATL Tower) that they are now paying per diem while you are in OKC in addition to your salary. And I have said it before, the folks who go to the Centers get messed over with repesct to training and career progression. The checkouts are much quicker at smaller towers and approach controls. We have SEVERAL (I think about 11 folks) who have gone from $32,000 (new hire pay) to fully certified in under a year. These people are now making roughly $90,000 per year before OT.

There is a post under ATC (if you look on page 2 or 3) entitled ATC BENEFITS. This thread describes in detail how much you get (with links that work) based upon your point in training. Also discusses other benies you get.

Last edited:
kaudbraun,
If you want to be considered, send it in now! The HR people will not move on until they have a complete file. This is not like the airlines, the govt must check all the boxes before they take action b/c they have to be accountable for everything they do!!

Yes, they now pay per diem in OKC.

Starting pay is in the mid 30s. At a level 11 facility, you make about $84,000 when checked out....depends on locality obviously. If you work Sundays, nights, OT, it will be more. Check out can be quick at a lower level facility....at a busy facility it can be at least 3 years.

Latest resources

Back