Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on the off the street hiring process for ATC. When there is a listing for a specific state, how/when do you find out where the particular opening is? After you submit an application, would it help to visit the tower/agency to meet folks? How long does the hiring and training process take? Any advice to someone applying?

I'm trying to help my wife out with the process, but I am pretty clueless when it comes to ATC. Thanks...

I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on the off the street hiring process for ATC. When there is a listing for a specific state, how/when do you find out where the particular opening is? After you submit an application, would it help to visit the tower/agency to meet folks? How long does the hiring and training process take? Any advice to someone applying?

I'm trying to help my wife out with the process, but I am pretty clueless when it comes to ATC. Thanks...

Hi Marine,

The FAA lists ATC positions on their career website.

http://jobs.faa.gov/Allfaajobs.htm

In the Series drop-down box, select 2152 which represents controllers.

You will then see the current ATC openings. The OTS ones usually include the word "trainee" in the title description, but not always.

Once the deadline closes, there can be a wait of up to three months or so before hearing anything. The next step is taking the test called AT-SAT.

You can find more information at:

http://www.atccti.com

Take care!

You go exactly where the FAA wants you to go - trust me, they don't really care about what your wants and needs are. I applied for the old Western Pacific region and ended up at Denver Center, so there you go.

Look for hiring announcements with PUB in the title (those are public hire announcements) and only apply for states you would really want to live in =)

Stephanie

Thanks for the posts. She applied and now we're just playing the waiting game.

Can anyone tell me what the schedules are like? I'm guessing they are seniority based like the airlines... I take it a new person can expect to be working night shifts, weekends and holidays for a while?

Last edited:
Everything varies by facility, but to give you an example of how things are done at Denver Center:

At ZDV, you bid on your crew according to what days you want off. A-G are the designators for the crews. A crew has Saturday-Sunday off, B crew has
Sunday-Monday off, C crew Monday-Tuesday off, etc. Generally, you start the week working later shifts, and end the week working earlier shifts. There are also different schedules within the crews - some have a late swing on their third day, some have a quick turn with an early shift and then a mid shift on their fourth day. And each area of the facility does things a little differently according to traffic and staffing needs. Also, generally, trainees don't work mid shifts. All these things are bid by seniority every year, and as a newbie, you're unfortunately at the very bottom.

The schedule while you're in the training department (map study, non-radar, DYSIM) is usually weekdays, 0700-1530 (administrative hours, basically).

And, for example, I'm on B crew, so my schedule is Tuesday 1505-2305, Wednesday 1330-2130, Thursday-Saturday 0745-1545.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions...

Stephanie

Horrible, I have a letter on employment where I'm supposed to fill out what states I would like to work in..... I don't plan on sending it. They just emailed me after 8 months wondering why I haven't summited the form....
If you want to work in a certain state. I'd suggest filling out only one state in all 5 blanks. Atleast, thats what I was considering doing before this pay debacle....

You will make $8.61/hr BEFORE taxes at the Academy. No per diem, and benefits are offered, but you're not going to be able to afford them. Save your pennies, in other words.

You will make $32,200/yr., give or take, plus whatever locality is applicable, when you get to your facility. Depending on the facility and the training program, you may not see a raise for a year or more.

Latest resources

Back