• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bernoulli

Question for all you ATC guys:
Scenario:
I am flying a slant G...off route flying direct to an IAF of a GPS approach. I am at 5,000 feet. ATC then calls and says: Cessna 12345 cross ABC (IAF) at or above 3,500 feet cleared GPS runway 5 approach into XYZ. I read back the clearance but I do not want to start my descent for a few more minutes. So...a few minutes later when I do want to begin my descent do I have to tell ATC I'm out of 5,000 for 3,500? I know if I were on a published route I would not once I've been cleared...but in this situation I'm not on a published route yet...I'm flying direct to the IAF.

Not an ATC guy but my guess is that since they have already cleared you for the approach it is not necessary to call leaving 5000.

Not an ATC guy but my guess is that since they have already cleared you for the approach it is not necessary to call leaving 5000.

I'm going to take the opposite approach and say that it is still reqired to report leaving the altitude. You are not on the approach yet as you haven't crossed the IAF.

There would be no harm in reporting it.

I'm going to take the opposite approach and say that it is still reqired to report leaving the altitude. You are not on the approach yet as you haven't crossed the IAF.

You might consider reporting the FAF as well.

The question is "do I have to", my opinion is NO, there is no harm in telling ATC when you lower the landing gear either, also not required.

The question is "do I have to", my opinion is NO, there is no harm in telling ATC when you lower the landing gear either, also not required.

However there is a requirment to report leaving an altitude. Is there not? And he's not "on" the approach yet.

a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities without a specific ATC request:
1. At all times.
(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight level for a newly assigned altitude or flight level.​

Last edited:
His assigned altitude once cleared for the approach is the block altitude of 0' AGL <---> the missed approach altitude. 3000' in this case is not his assigned altitude, only a temporary ATC imposed altitude constraint.

His assigned altitude once cleared for the approach is the block altitude of 0' AGL <---> the missed approach altitude. 3000' in this case is not his assigned altitude, only a temporary ATC imposed altitude constraint.

His PREVIOUSLY assigned altitude was 3000'. So yeah, he is required to report leaving it for his NEWLY assigned altitude.

Just read the post before yours. Its a direct quote.

The object here is to let the controller know that 3000' is available so he can descend someone else.

Report what you want, once cleared for the approach that's all ATC is interested in except terminating the IFR flight plan. :cool:

I love when stuff like this happens:

First a wise guy comment about reporting gear down:

Then after he is shown in writing what the right thing to do is then you get a childish comment like this:

Report what you want, once cleared for the approach that's all ATC is interested in except terminating the IFR flight plan.

You are right that ATC is likely not to care, but that doesn't make it right. Can you get away without reporting? Of course I'd say 100% of the time. If you don't report it no one will ever say anything about it. However the one who posted the question was looking for a reglatory answer and you can't argue with that.

So operationally maybe you won't report it, but regulation wise you should.

Don't forget that you have a license to learn, but if you close your eyes you will never learn anything.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back