off line jumpseating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Currently Delta and all Delta connection only allow one in the back. "

Technically, not true. DAL is restricted to taking no more JS'er than there are JS's in the cockpit. Most of the time that's one, but some of the 76's have two. In addition, if the JS is "full," with a DAL guy, and you can get to him, sometimes he will take a non-rev in the back and give up the JS to an offline jumper, assuming there's room, of course. I've done this in the past more than once.

Small point about the JS. I wish we had an unrestricted policy like some others.

And I have to second the message about how great JB is with jumpseats.

MD FO

Last edited:
Just a question

In order to J/S. Do you have to be an airline pilot or just be ATP rated. I've heard some 135 pilots talk about jump seating when I use to work line service but never got a good answer.

Just curious.

MD FO said:
n addition, if the JS is "full," with a DAL guy, and you can get to him, sometimes he will take a non-rev in the back and give up the JS to an offline jumper, assuming there's room, of course. I've done this in the past more than once.

This may have worked pre 9/11 but now offline jumpers can't occupy the jumpseat (unless you've heard something I haven't).

However, if the DAL guy is "jumpseating" on a less than full flight (riding in the back) you may be able to convince him to nonrev so that you can "jumpseat", riding in the back. This is due to a technicality of Delta only allowing as many jumpseaters on board as there are jumpseats in the cockpit. So if a Delta or Delta Connection pilot jumpseats on a less than full flight instead of using his free nonrev privilleges, he needlessly bumps any offline pilots trying to jumpseat.

ASA will take as many jumpseaters we can put in any empty seat in the back. Only ASA, Comair, and DAL can sit up front though.:D

Re: Just a question

cessna_driver2 said:
In order to J/S. Do you have to be an airline pilot or just be ATP rated. I've heard some 135 pilots talk about jump seating when I use to work line service but never got a good answer.

Just curious.

Whoa!
Generally, in order to jumpseat you must be employed as a pilot by a 121 or 135 airline.
Most airlines require your airline to have a reciprocal agreement, which means an informal agreement to take each others jumpseaters.

Being ATP rated has nothing to do with it. You just have to be an airline pilot with the appropriate credentials.

>>However, if the DAL guy is "jumpseating" on a less than full flight (riding in the back) you may be able to convince him to nonrev so that you can "jumpseat", riding in the back. "

This is exactly what I said, although I must not have conveyed it well. The key is where you put your quotes. As a DAL guy, you can let an off-line jumper take the "Jumpseat," that is, he is listed on the paperwork as the jumper, although he must, of course, sit in the back. The DAL guy, who used to be "on the jumpseat," as listed on the paperwork, now "gives that up," and becomes a non-rev. This is what I have done numerous times, although it takes a receptive gate agent, also. Of course, this all assumes adequate room in the cabin, but then so does the subject of this thread, i.e. taking more guys in the cabin.

We're saying the same thing.

MD FO

assuming open seats are available in the cabin, why would a DAL pilot want to "jumpseat" instead of using our generous non-rev travel bennies (thereby restricting the carriage of offline jumpseaters)? given the restrictive nature of the jumpseat nowadays as it applies to offline pilots, i would regard it as being a professional courtesy, but obviously not a required one.

here is some updated news on the comair jumpseat:

>Multiple-pilot jumpseating is back at Comair! Your MEC Jumpseat Coordinator is very pleased to report that the FAA has authorized a return to a jumpseat policy that is much as it was before, with the following notes:

Authorized jumpseaters may ride in any available seat in the cabin.

The uniform requirement is deleted. Business casual dress is now the standard.

If no seat is available in the cabin, Sky West pilots now join Comair, ASA, and Delta pilots as the only authorized cockpit jumpseat-riding airmen.

Don't forget us dispatchers.

And out of curiosity, which airlines do not allow dispatchers to jumpseat??? And why not? :cool:

---dispatch rory---

Last edited:
>>assuming open seats are available in the cabin, why would a DAL pilot want to "jumpseat" instead of using our generous non-rev travel bennies (thereby restricting the carriage of offline jumpseaters)?<<

I only sign up for the jumpseat if I no-sh!t need it, like to get to work, and can't afford to be on the non-rev list when some other flight cancels and they come a-runnin' for my flight, and oops, someone else grabbed the JS.

MD FO

Latest resources

Back