• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Off airway navigation

FOD said:
Did'nt really have any particular airport in mind. But, yeah i was assuming an airport with an instrument approach. Ok, for example on the 5,6 Low altitude enroute chart. If we were going from Winslow to Payson in IMC. My charts are pretty old, but looks like their is no feeder and Payson only has a GPS approach. How would we get there? What Altitude would we fly? and What would we file?

"If it's not in radar coverage and is a ways off your course you could always navigate using dead reconing, you can verify your position using cross radials"
How do you know if its radar coverage?

"Fly higher than the grid MORA (I think that's what Jeppesen calls it), and you'll be fine."
So you would you stay at the MORA until on on the approach then descend down in the hold?

I used to fly a caravan from Show Low - Payson - Phoenix 5 days a week.
The min sector altitude is 10,900',
http://public.fotki.com/afds/a/12.html

http://www.fltplan8.com/AppCharts/GIFCHARTS/06968RA_0001.gif

I would file INW direct TOPEE at 11000' and begin the decent to 8,600' at TOPEE.

Last edited:
That is good to know, I'm no instrument guru, but I didn't know that you could file to a gps waypoint that is your iaf. I thought that you just filed to the Airport and went to the iaf after recieving approach clearance. It makes sense though.

DrewBlows said:
I disagree. If you aren't in radar coverage you can use dead reckoning (technically speaking you can use it while in radar coverage, but why would you?). It's possible that I am wrong, I don't recall a regulation against dead reckoning, if one exists will you please post it?

dead reckoning in IMC on a IFR plan? That's a new one.

Fox6 said:
That is good to know, I'm no instrument guru, but I didn't know that you could file to a gps waypoint that is your iaf. I thought that you just filed to the Airport and went to the iaf after recieving approach clearance. It makes sense though.

File to the destination via the IAF, something like that, I am no instrument guru either. Anyway after you get in the air ask for direct to the IAF if you want, you will probably get it.

Latest resources

Back