• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

odp vs sid

saviboy

Total Time
some..
whats the difference bewteen the 2:
1) ODP do not include atc related climb requirements and are only used for for obstruction clearance.
2) pilots do not need ATC clearance to use an ODP.
3)u need ATC clearance to fly a SID

What elese am i missing?
thanks

Smoked Toilet

18 AT LAST!
Total Time
An obstacle DP is mandatory (ie. if there is one for the runway you are using, you must obide by it). You can opt out of SID's.

J

jackbo

Smoked Toilet said:
An obstacle DP is mandatory (ie. if there is one for the runway you are using, you must obide by it). You can opt out of SID's.
Not in visual conditions. Also, tower instructions can supercede this.

So the bottom line is that this is mandatory in IMC when the tower is closed (or all times in IMC at a non-towered field).

Whiskey Tango

Total Time
Obstacle DP’s are not mandatory necessarily. At my company we are required by Ops Specs to fly them all the time and cannot ask for a VFR climb. If you are flying part 91 you have no requirement to fly them.

Cardinal

Of The Kremlin
Total Time
K's
Smoked Toilet said:
More specifically, for Part 121 the Obstacle DP is mandatory.

J

jackbo

Cardinal said:
More specifically, for Part 121 the Obstacle DP is mandatory.
Not true. Depends on operator. For most, not required in VFR and/or if tower is operating and gives other instructions. That is a myth that 121 MUST fly it. Nowhere does it say all 121 operators must fly a ODP all the time.

Cardinal

Of The Kremlin
Total Time
K's
I stand corrected. I should have said "unless you inform ATC otherwise and can ensure terrain clearance visually, etc, yadda yadda yadda." At least that what our OpsSpecs say.