• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Observations on SKYW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe I don't understand the phone-in vote. I understood that you could vote yes or no...what you seem to be saying is that if you called in to vote it was automatically cast as a yes. Is that how the vote went down?
Many of us do want to have representation just not alpa. If you were to call in and say yes to representation but no to alpa- there is no alternative... the only representing body would be alpa.. say 20% voted alpa 40% voted for representation but no to alpa. The only body being up for representing us is alpa. They win by default by 60%.

A vote for representation- but not alpa is a vote for alpa... so yeah i didnt call.. that was my vote...

Fits right in with the do nothing, keep your head low, I just wanna fly my trip and go home.... crowd... I mean... would it kill you to make the profession better than you found it... I mean how about doing something for something that is bigger than you? Or are you better than the Air Line Pilot Profession?

union airlines (asa) are coming up to our level of compensation as i see it- but yes moot point.

Your level is BASED on union levels of compesnation! But do you have the work rules? In addition your compensation is slowly being trip away indirectly...

asa was not saved by skywest but they arent owned by mesa.... reminds me of a story about a frenchman who hates Americans.... do you speak German?........ youre welcome.

You got cajones to say this.... ALPA defends the profession... you are the frenchman...

SOOOOOO glad this is over! now people can hate people for other reasons..

Not sure about hate but the 66%Klub at SKYW just lost professional respect....

Many of us do want to have representation just not alpa. If you were to call in and say yes to representation but no to alpa- there is no alternative... the only representing body would be alpa.. say 20% voted alpa 40% voted for representation but no to alpa. The only body being up for representing us is alpa. They win by default by 60%.

Problem is.... no other union seems interested... or are they?

Last edited:
Here's how the vote worked:

To cast a vote you called the number provided. Entered your PIN and VIN. Then you got to choose... option 1: ALPA option 2: write in vote for representation other than ALPA (could be Teamsters, SAPA, your uncle Joe, Mickey Mouse, whoever). There was no option to vote against representation.

When the vote was finished, ALL votes were tallied. If the majority of the eligible voters called in and voted (meaning 50% + 1 of the 2611) then the vote would have passed and we would have had representation. Then, to decide who represented us, the would have tallied all the votes for ALPA, all the votes for Teamsters, all the votes for SAPA, yada yada yada, and the majority of those votes would have been who the representative party was that won the vote.

So, yes, in a way, a vote for SAPA was a vote for ALPA. Most likely, the majority of yes votes was going to be for ALPA, but that vote for SAPA helped to reach the 50% + 1 magic number. In the final breakdown there were a few votes for SAPA and the Teamsters but the vast majority were for ALPA.

Unfortunately, about 65% voted AGAINST representation either by purposely not calling (as a "NO" vote), or just being apathetic. There is no way to tell the difference.

Hope this helped.

--SP

There is a time and place for choosing not to choose... and this wasn't it.... The SKYW pilots ARE conformist..
Rez, I'm willing to bet that the percentage of conformists in both the 35% and the 65% were the same. I don't mind the conformists nearly as much as the "I don't care" guys (and gals). They, unfortunately, defaulted to a "no" vote. Of course we'll never know because of the way the NMB conducts the vote.

THAT has to change.

Fair enough. Although, I would have called and voted for the Skywest Pilot Association or whaever it is that they call it. That would have been the same as a no vote to me.

What train do you want to ride?
The Hershey highway, him and skyturd, jea, and sterns are at SKYW and think its a career airline.
hellonewwoman is out and among the bigs at CAL, start the trend, flush that turd and send a message, "you don't want us, we don't want you!" Flushing hellonewwoman would signal a turning point in the industry, "we will police our own and if you don't like that JO is hiring for kung pow air"
PBR

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back