Nytol and Flight Crew drug testing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

Does anyone know if Nytol (over the counter sleep aid) shows up in a Flight Crew drug test?.... I guess what I'm asking is more specifically, are they even looking for it in the drug test? The active incredient is --> Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride.

To the best of my knowledge, I thought they were only looking for stimulants like marujana and cocaine.... and of course alcohol. Maybe someone on here knows the specifics of what the lab actually tests for? I'd also like to see a list of what specific drugs they test for.

Good question, I woundered the same thing. I've thought about using that stuff, but was worried it might cause a drug test to be positive. Anyone, anyone, anyone?

Here is a copy of the section on sleep aids from the ALPA aeromedical branch:

Sleep-inducing medications: None of the OTC sleep preparations, including Sominex, Tylenol PM, and Excedrin PM, are allowed for flight deck use and require waiting 12-24 hours from last dose to flight duty. Prescription medications such as Sonata, Halcion and Restoril are not approved for airmen. Those pilots taking Ambien (zolpidem), another prescription medication, must wait 24-48 hours after the last dose before flying. The USAF has waived the use of Ambien in its pilots after ground testing and in very specific controlled situations. Sonata, a newly released sleep product, is not approved by the FAA. Sonata was approved by the USAF for ground use by aircrew in controlled situations.

Dietary supplements, such as melatonin, reportedly help reduce sleep problems. The FAA generally allows airmen to use these supplements if those airmen do not suffer side effects from them. However, claims about these dietary supplements' benefits in treating insomnia and "jet lag" often are overstated. Some individuals have significant side effects from these "natural" supplements. A future VFS article will address sleep disturbances and strategies for effective sleep.

Hope this helps.

Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride is just Benadryl. It is masked as an over the counter sleep aid because Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride has a side effect of making you drowsey. So I would easily say that NO it wouldn't even show up because,

A. It is not a controled substance.

B. They are not even testing for that substance.

C. If it was off limits, we would all be screwed as far as ever having any sinus problems. Say you had a sinus cold 4 days before you needed to fly, you took Benadryl to combat the symptoms whiel you let the infection run it's course, it would still be in your system the day you flew, even though you did not take it that day. Talk about suck. I have a damm sinus cold right now and that stuff is the only thing that can get me through the day without ripping my nose off, of course I don't have to fly again for a week so I guess I am ok.

Anyway, I wouldn't even worry about Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride.

If you are using it for sleep, I would look more into why you are not sleeping in the first place. If you isolate the problem that is causing you not to sleep i.e.(Stress, Diet, caffine, relationships, bed, ect...) you should be able to solve it without drugs..Good luck..

SD

Hey SDdriver, thanks for the excellent reply on that one.

I have used Melatonine and I don't find it very effective (at least with me). Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (Nytol) seems to work very well with me. I don't have a sleeping problem. It's more that my flight schedule is constantly changing. Sometimes I will be on duty all night long (continuous duty overnight)... and sleep during the day. Or sometimes I might have a really early get-up, and I want to go to bed early. Hitting the gym really hard before I go to bed helps, but Nytol works the best.

You are right in that it is basically Benadryl. I don't think the FAA is testing for sinus and cold medication - really! They would in effect, be testing for antihistamines.

I know how you feel about the odd times and duty days changing from one day to the next. I have similar problems. Working out a few hours before bed and then eating a good dinner helps a lot for me also. I have found though if you take Nytol or similar stuff, after awhile your body will build a resistance to it and it wil not be as effective. I know that drugs with anahistimines are not approved for use before I think 8 or 12 hours before flying, since they will cause you to be drowsy. As far as drug test they are broken down into 3 catagories.

1. Cannabis ( marajuana)
2. Opiates (Herion, pain killers, and such)
3. Amphetamines ( Cocaine, Meth-amphetamines,and such).

Then you have your alchohol test. Some analgesics will show also show on a drug screen, because they are a form of pain reliever.

Unless what you are taking specificly fits in those catagories it will not show positive on the drug screen. I have seen in testing though that sometimes there are false positives. I worked in a lab for awhile and have seen people test positive when they take some types of herbal drugs and things such as Mini Thins. I would avoid all of those types of drugs, even though they are over the counter, they are not FDA approved (herbal stuff I mean) and the long term effects are really unknown on most of these things. Also if you work out a lot be careful about what type of supplements you take. Some of these drugs can have advese effects on the body and be detrimental to someone in our profession.

I have found that a good diet, high in protien and low in carbohydrates, and staying away from lots of caffeine helps when you have an ever changing schedule. I think a lot of problems result when people endulge in large amounts of carbohydrates. Carbs are just extra energy and cause the bodys blood sugar to spike and give you a boost of energy, but after that you will bottem out and get tired at the wrong times. If you limit the amount of Carbs you take in and provide your body with a lot of protien during the day it will help to keep your body at a more consistant level through the day and when it comes time to sleep you won't have an over amount of extra energy that needs to be burned off. I hope all of this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to ask. Take care, stay healthy, and by all means fly safe.

SD

FWIW, and for future reference, here is what the FAA and ALPA have to say about Benadryl and the like:

Allergy and cold medications: The over-the-counter (OTC) decongestants pseudoephedrine (the active ingredient in plain Sudafed) and phenylpropanolamine, if they do not contain any antihistamines, are authorized. Note that the FDA has recalled phenylpropanolamine (PPA) because of cardiac arrhythmias and deaths associated with its' use. In general, only the "non-drowsy" or "daytime" products should be used. Additionally, the prescription non-sedating antihistamines Claritin and Allegra are authorized for flight deck use following a 48 hour ground test free of side effects. Currently, the FAA does not approve the prescription antihistamines Zyrtec or Astelin for use during flight duty. Use of these medications requires a 24-36 hour grounding period following the last dose. See Allergies in the VFS Medical Information Center.

All other OTC cold and allergy medications require that you wait twice the dosing interval since your last dose of the medication before you fly again. In other words, if the label states, "Take every 6 hours," you must wait at least 12 hours since your last dose before flying again.

A study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine on 7 March 2000 demonstrated that the effect of taking Benadryl, an OTC antihistamine, impaired driving performance significantly more than a blood alcohol concentration of 0.1% (legally intoxicated) or Allegra, a "non-sedating" antihistamine. It also demonstrated that subjective drowsiness was not an accurate measure of driving performance. Two of the study's authors are consultants to the manufacturer of Allegra, which may introduce some bias in the results.

Many liquid and inhalant medications contain alcohol, which may produce a positive reading if you take an alcohol breath test. The FARs prohibit airmen from ingesting alcohol in any form within 8 hours of flying. Some prescription cough medications contain codeine, a narcotic which is prohibited for use within 24 hours of flight. VFS physicians recommend a 72 hour waiting period from the last dose of a narcotic before flying if a pilot subject to DOT drug testing to avoid the possibility of a positive drug test for opiates.

SDdriver, just to clarify... are you 110% sure that the FAA doesn't even test for OTC sleep aids or Benadryl? How do you know all of this? Is there some type of web site that specifically tells what they test for?

Thanks again for all your info.

Flight-crew,

Unless you bend some aluminum, you should not be tested for sleep aids. However, that does not mean that is legal to use them within the prescribed time frame. I am assuming you have worked long and hard to get where you are/are going, keep that in mind. Better safe than sorry.

The idiots (AWA, Mesa, ASA) who have recently been in the news for alcohol related incidents are the of the paragon stupidity. A hard lesson to be learned about the pitfalls of pi$$ poor judgement. Best to learn from their stupidity, and be extra cautious during this phase of extra scrutiny.

Some info for your perusal:

Aeromedical Report: Random Drug Tests
Air Line Pilot, January 1999, page 5

By Dr. W. Keith Martin, ALPA Associate Aeromedical Advisor

What drugs is a pilot tested for under the random mandatory drug testing required by Department of Transportation/FAA regulations?

The five major groups of drugs screened are marijuana metabolites, cocaine metabolites, opiate (heroin, morphine, codeine, etc.) metabolites, phencyclidine (PCP, angel dust), and amphetamines.

Be aware, however, that testing under other authority, such as drug testing requested by the NTSB following an accident, may screen for additional drugs. In any event, you are cautioned to be sure that the FAA allows any medication prescribed for you or that you buy over-the-counter medicine for use while on flight duty.

If I have recently taken a medication, should I report it to the person collecting my urine?

No. The collector cannot ask for, nor should you provide, any information at the time of urine collection concerning your recent use of medication. DOT’s drug-testing rules do not allow the collector to ask questions about your recent use of medication. You will be given a copy of the collection form. We recommend that if you have recently taken any medication, prescription or otherwise, that you note this on the back of your copy of the collection form. The note will serve as a reminder if you need it later.

and

Aeromedical Report, Air Line Pilot, June/July 1998, page 5

Drug Testing

By Dr. Quay C. Snyder, ALPA Associate Aeromedical Advisor

Department of Transportation drug testing is designed to detect illegal drug use. Almost all medications prescribed by physicians are excluded from the DOT testing program. Many prescribed medications are legal for a pilot to use while flying—after (1) an appropriate ground testing period to ensure that the pilot does not suffer harmful side effects from the medication and (2) improvement in the underlying condition (see "What Can I Take and Still Fly?" June/July 1997, for FAA policies on specific categories of medications).

The DOT drug testing program screens urine for the presence of five compounds—phencyclidine (PCP, "angel dust"), which has no approved medical use, and four substances that have rare medical uses (cocaine, marijuana, amphetamines, and narcotics). All of these substances are commonly used as drugs of abuse. The FAA does not grant any waivers to pilots for flying with any medical condition that justifies treatment with these drugs. While alcohol testing is intended to determine impairment by a legal substance, drug testing is conducted to detect the presence of an illegal substance.

Occasionally, a pilot may be prescribed a narcotic medication for a brief period of time after surgery or an injury. Examples include dental surgery, severe strains, and minor nondental surgery. Pilots should not fly for at least 3 days after taking the last dose of a narcotic medication.

Although narcotics are the only category of medication that require a physician to confirm that physical evidence of narcotic abuse exists before considering a drug test positive, the prudent pilot will avoid the possible administrative inconveniences of a positive screening test for narcotics.

Remember that using narcotics not specifically prescribed for the patient—for example, sharing a spouse’s prescription—is illegal. For more information about drug testing, see "Drug and Alcohol Testing Rules: A Revisit, Parts I and II," August and September 1996.

Hopefully these passages will help. Any other questions, fire away.

Last edited:
Metro Sheriff,

You're doing an excellent job of trying to help and publishing the accurate information from people who's job it is to know, not guess. Nice work.

Apparently there are still folks, including in this thread, who either will not read or will not listen to what they do read. Oh well, they've been warned.

Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back