NYC workers strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MedFlyer said:
No they aren't. There's no way you could put 33,000 people in jail and they know it. There's no way you can fire them all either. These are idle threats which is why these folks aren't afraid to strike. They have little to lose and lots to gain.

The only folks who I would say have cajones are the union leaders. They could potentially end up in jail. But for the rank and file workers, they have little to lose by striking other than some money.

They're talking about putting the leaders in jail!

Many of the differences between their position and airline pilots have been pointed out already in this thread.

One other distinction is they really don't have a lot invested in their respected profession "specialty." Where as any airline pilot, especially at a "major," most likely has a minimum of a decade of experience dedicated just to attain that position.

It's much easier to throw it all out on the line, when you have less invested. Obviously management is well aware of this, which is why they've been able to whittle away our career expectations by about 50% in only 4 years.

Regardless, I have the utmost respect for these professionals who are all clearly risking their career for what they believe (and I agree) is a just cause. It seems to be the only way to preserve a labor profession in todays world. Unfortunately for us, we'll most likely be forced with the same ultimatum except our ante will be a lot higher.

The union leaders at the TWU local in New York are not ghetto-thugs. I often think the problems with ALPA and any pilot union is the almost exclusive "white-bread", raised in the burbs or small town attitude of it's membership. Way too much of the collective information was garnered in front of a TV set.
Why should any union ever be denied the right to strike. Take a look at who sponsered that law and then try to discover who owned that politician.

ferlo said:
I love this Jail B.S.. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to tell someone, "get your as* back to work or I'm going to throw you in JAIL!!!" That sounds a bit like slavery. That I know is illegal. Good for the TWU, the only reason managment is having a biblical tizzy fit is because the TWU hijaked their leverage. They assumed that they can what ever they want to these people and hold the guilt of crippling the city over their heads. They eventually called B.S. to that notion and in one fell swoop turned the tables. Now Bloomberg is threatening to enslave union leaders and is peeing his pants with anger and frustration. Welcome to the club, you billionaire Mother F***ER.

Wow, ferlo,
I don't know what all those judges and lawyers with law degrees and years of legal experience, city, state, and federal politicians, Attorney Generals, and union leaders have all been thinking for the last almost 40 years!!!!!!! I guess they ALL failed to see the illegality of the 1967 Taylor Law and the "fact" that it is slavery. Thank God for all of us that you, ferlo, a 737/DC-9 pilot on flightinfo.com was brought into this world to set all the rest of us straight on this issue. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Can't arrest them? You bet they can.

Press charges? Yep, if they really want to.

Post bail? Probably would be released under his own recognizance.

Actually take it to court? I seriously doubt it. Too politically charged.

Slavery is forcing someone to work without compensation. This is obviously not the case.

Child support is based on what you make, so you better not try and work for less without a good reason. You could call that "indentured servitude," but it wouldn't hold up.

Withou law, unions would never stand a chance, so you better play by the rules that save your a$$ or face a worse fate.

Get back to work or go to jail, sure that's legal. They stole their candy and now their panties are bunched like never before. BTW, who was Taylor, let me guess, a guy/politician who owned a majority stake in a transportation company?

If nobody ever takes a stand, we will have two classes in this country again. The ultra rich, and those that serve.

You are still missing the point, if somehow all the pilots walked off the job, union, non-union, everyone and forced a 100% increase in wages, more days off and a 1:1 duty rig, those costs would be passed along to the flying public. The flying public would make other choices, a good percentage would not fly they would drive, take a bus, or stay home. There would be a lot less airplanes flying, a lot less jobs, and a few pilots at the top would make out. The airlines are not like NYC, the TWU as no completion, people can not make other choices they are the only way into and out of NYC. The walkout fantasy is like looking at the hottie on the beach, it is fun to imagine

So because people need to take the bus, the driver has no rights? They weild this guilt over his head and expect him to ingest whatever they want to cram down his throat, or pull out of his wallet? Because he drives the bus, he bears the burden. All they did was turn the table and put the burden on managment. Also, remember that a fair/equitable contract in the first place would have avoided all of this.

The bottom line is bloomberg wants to be the unchallenged master, and the thought of the peasants dictating anything to him, is so reprehensible, he would obviously rather cost the citizens 400 million a day, then be reasonable with the TWU. The blame for this rests on the commander. Bloomberg caused this, not a bus driver. As far as "you better obey the law" is concerned, recall that it was the law for a long long time that blacks had to be segregated. Just because it's in writing does not make it right. I guess that's obvious to those of us with a keen sense of justice and common sense.

Against the law to strike?? WHAT? My question is this; why should any labor group be forced to work without a contract. The MTA had plenty of time to present something acceptable. No contract, no work!! I think the MTA thought they were dealing with airline workers, pilots in particular. But as it turns out they were dealing with the TWU as they quickly learned, a far cry from the likes of airline pilots who don't dare challenge management.

pipejockey said:
Against the law to strike?? WHAT? My question is this; why should any labor group be forced to work without a contract. The MTA had plenty of time to present something acceptable. No contract, no work!! I think the MTA thought they were dealing with airline workers, pilots in particular. But as it turns out they were dealing with the TWU as they quickly learned, a far cry from the likes of airline pilots who don't dare challenge management.

Remember PATCO? Reagan went after them with a vengeance. He not only fired them but went after their benefits (they became ineligible for welfare.)
Of course, his VP Bush I was in bed with Frank Lorenzo, too, but that's a different can o' worms.

Latest resources

Back