Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gulfstream 200 said:
"think about what would happen" huh??

think about what would happen --- if CRJ pilots had the same brains as a bus driver and never went to work for 17K/yr in the first place.

imagine that pal.

Quite possibly the most intelligent thing I've ever seen on FlightInfo. Not that the bar was set particularly high.........

Last edited by a moderator:
MedFlyer said:
Remember, mass transit is a money losing enterprise (no mass transit system in the US makes money) and is subsidized by local, state and federal gov't. Don't complain when you have to start paying more taxes to support these transit workers.

Hmm funny. When I lived in NYC, I remeber the MTA was chided for raising the fares from $1.50 to $2 when they had more that an $80 million dollar surplus. And most of the bus lines in NY are private compaines

MedFlyer said:
Unlike airlines, the mass transit system in NYC won't go out of business if the workers go on strike. There is no competing subway system that will steal customers away. If DL pilots go on strike, the airline will liquidate and other airlines will pick up DL's former customers. The two aren't comparable.
The point (I believe) of this thread is that finally a labor group is willing to take a stand at the risk of losing their jobs. Whether the employer is a for-profit company, or government funded entity, who cares? You risk your job when you strike! I applaud them for taking a stand on something they feel strongly about. With the erosion of the power of organized labor, I am happy to see this group flex their muscles a bit.

Couple of points, I obviously didn't know what the fack I was talking about with respect to the law because they do appear to be breaking at least one. I agree that you can't compare public and private sectors, and that was my original point. Regardless, strike illegal-pilots/mta not comparable-twa got seriously hosed by a few dozen pricks in herndon-merry holidays.

That just about covers it.

For ALPA to be a force to reckon with they must have a national seniority list of some sort. Personally, I'm not sure the best way to formalize it but can you imagine the strength of ALPA if all ALPA carriers worked as one.

MedFlyer said:
It has nothing to do with cajones and everything to do with being a public service monopoly.

Unlike airlines, the mass transit system in NYC won't go out of business if the workers go on strike. There is no competing subway system that will steal customers away. If DL pilots go on strike, the airline will liquidate and other airlines will pick up DL's former customers. The two aren't comparable.

Remember, mass transit is a money losing enterprise (no mass transit system in the US makes money) and is subsidized by local, state and federal gov't. Don't complain when you have to start paying more taxes to support these transit workers.

Well said.

Ben Dover said:
The point (I believe) of this thread is that finally a labor group is willing to take a stand at the risk of losing their jobs. Whether the employer is a for-profit company, or government funded entity, who cares? You risk your job when you strike! I applaud them for taking a stand on something they feel strongly about. With the erosion of the power of organized labor, I am happy to see this group flex their muscles a bit.

Nice thought, and I wish it were true, but they will all be hired back, as there are no people lining up to do their job for 17K a year. Or have to re-apply for their job, due to another company taking over. They know that they will be going back to work when someone gives in, or some aggrement is made. Your ideal would hold fast if ALL pilots walked out. For this to happen, there would need to be ONE labor group, that all employed pilots belonged to.

I Am Warning All Of You To Cease And Desist From Making Any Attacks About Alpa Vis A Vis This Nyc Strike

How any of you have escaped a lecture from the resident ALPA defender Rez is incredulous. Standyby to be told how effective your dues are being spent, how all the problems are a direct result of the membership.

Latest resources

Back