• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NYC bus driver vs. ASA pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hope u guys have a significant other thats make some serious coin..

SennaP1 said:
(maybe right outside Yankees (SUCK) Stadium ...oh sorry)

Hey now, no need for that!!!! I agree the location isn't the most desirable, but come on.:D

GO YANKS!!!!!:beer:

Phony Marconi said:
They just "settled" the NYC transit strike with a contract. Only a month after its amendable date.

See what a real union does for its members.

Compare: A NYC busdriver...

1) $50,000 a year starting salary for a 40 hr work week. Home every night.
2) No educational requirements.
3) No career-threatening medical exam.
4) 1.5% payroll deduct for health coverage.
5) Retire age 50 with full lifetime pension AND health coverage.
6) Approx 3% raise each year.

......and an ASA Captain

1) $60,000 a year after a 3-7 yr upgrade period. 300-400 hrs away from home each month
2) Ratings/experience/school at own expense.
3) 6 month medical jeopardy.
4) approx 5% payroll deduct for medical coverage.
5) NO retirement pay or medical coverage.
6) NO raise in past 3 years.

I'm going up to New York! I don't know if they even hire white males to drive buses, but I can try!

You have a "perception" issue. You percieve the pilot profession to be one of "prestige" and a bus driver as one of "low class". You just can't stand that the compensation package of a "lowly" bus driver compares to that of an "Airline Captain". It's 2005 not 1975. The cost to fly has gotten closer to the price of a bus ride and with that a pilots salary has moved closer to that of a bus driver. This is what a market does. You either "adapt or die". 150K average salaries don't mix with $59 dollar fares. If you don't like it, GET THE F*CK OUT, NOW! And take the "White Male" chip off your shoulder. Rode the Q10 from Queens to JFK for over a year. Plenty of White males driving.

Reebo said:
It's 2005 not 1975. The cost to fly has gotten closer to the price of a bus ride and with that a pilots salary has moved closer to that of a bus driver. This is what a market does. You either "adapt or die". 150K average salaries don't mix with $59 dollar fares. quote]

But it seems VP and managment salaries continue to rise?

Uh...................................nevermind

Sinca3 said:
But it seems VP and managment salaries continue to rise?

You are correct. It's also part of the reason why pilot salaries continue to fall. Seems pretty simple, raise fares! I know it's not that easy, but it seems odd that management doesn't price it's product to meet it's costs.

Not to mention you are responsible for a multi-million dollar aircraft-Some needs to stand up to management even if it means a strike-set the standard, Mesa pilots are a bunch of whores and Delta pilots rolled over AGAIN and took it in the a$$-the whole aviation world is watching ASA pilots move.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back