• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

United and Continental Said to Agree to Merge

By MICHAEL J. de la MERCED and JAD MOUAWAD

United Airlines and Continental Airlines agreed Sunday to a $3 billion merger that will create the world’s biggest airline, people familiar with the discussions said.
The boards of both companies approved the all-stock transaction, these people said. A deal is expected to be announced on Monday. The transaction is expected to close in the fourth quarter.
The combined company will keep the United name and will be based in Chicago. It will be run by Continental’s top executive, Jeffery A. Smisek. United’s chairman, Glenn F. Tilton, will be nonexecutive chairman for two years. After that, Mr. Smisek will become the executive chairman.
Jean Medina, a spokeswoman for United, declined to comment. A Continental representative could not be immediately reached for comment.
The combination would jump ahead of Delta Air Lines, which became the top airline after its purchase of Northwest Airlines two years ago. The carriers will have a leading presence in the top domestic markets, including New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles, along with an extended network to Asia, Latin America and Europe.
A combination of United and Continental will have 21 percent of the domestic market share, in terms of available-seat miles, a industry measure of capacity that represents one seat that is flown one mile.
That puts it ahead of Delta, which currently has a 20 percent domestic market share, American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, which both have 15 percent, and US Airways, with 10 percent.
The combination will also account for 7 percent of global capacity, ahead of Delta, the current leader with 6 percent, and American, with 5 percent. United is currently the fourth largest domestic airline by capacity and Continental the sixth.

Last edited:
One more minor hurdle: Department of Justice and anti-trust scrutiny. I'm guessing the Bamster will tell Holder to approve the deal to save the hometown airline.

It should be entertaining to watch the SLI unfold. I get the feeling the junior CAL pilots are not going to be happy.

Gup

It should be entertaining to watch the SLI unfold. I get the feeling the junior CAL pilots are not going to be happy.

Gup

Relative seniority is the worst that CAL will do
per the ALPA merger policy and nikoli ruling. Hopefully with much greater career expectations they should be fine. Unless of course u r talking about furloughs.

Gup

Really? Why would that be? I think you might be surprised, unpleasantly surprised I gather.....Oh well.. worst case in my head is that I would have to go back to flying a pos 737 but hey, it could be worse huh? What do you think?

IAHERJ

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back