NWA-- What are they looking for to replace DC9s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

With the NewCo concept grounded what is Northwest considering as a replacement to the DC9s?

Also, for any NW guys why are you stil flying a DC10 into BOM in spite of the high load factors? I've heard its oversold everyday (both ways) and NW ends up denying boarding to passengers and/or downgrading business class travellers.

Years ago a NWA Captain told me "when we take our last Airbus to the desert to retire, the crew will deadhead home on a DC-9." :D

According to our DC9 training folks at NATCO training, NWA will still have about 50 DC9's on the property in 2015, the DC9 40 and 50 aircraft.

The DC9 30's are to be retired first, about 100 aircraft....

Do you mean "what does the company WANT to replace them with?" or do you mean "what will the union ALLOW them to be replaced with?...

The answer to the first question is: Any aircraft flown by non-seniority list pilots.

The answer to the second question is: Any aircraft flown by NWA seniority list pilots. TC

The 76 seat jet is the 100 seat DC-9 replacement. The projected load factors for NWA put the 76 seat jet in the prime position to replace the DC-9s.

The "current" plan is to have 60 DC-9s on property in 2010. That is a loss of about 80 aircraft in the next 4 years as northwest currently has about 140 DC-9s. The replacement plan is still being negotiated....but the most recent passages hailed the NEWCO concept. NEWCO is still not dead and is still being negotiated. Although it is now for a 90 seat aircraft in a 76 seat configuration.

Jetblue is currently having problems with the E-190 reliability and the CRJ-900s are easier to get quickly.

Last edited:
jetflier said:
According to our DC9 training folks at NATCO training, NWA will still have about 50 DC9's on the property in 2015, the DC9 40 and 50 aircraft.

The DC9 30's are to be retired first, about 100 aircraft....
There's nothing wrong with being the ABX of peep flying.

NEWCO is mostly dead although Dr. Frankensteenland is still trying to harness the lightning bolts (BK Court) to make his freak come alive.

Even though the old time Red Book guys are apparently willing to throw just about everybody under the bus in a desperate effort to save their pensions and their jobs (even at criminally low wages), I hope and believe there are enough Greens and Blues to draw a line in the sand over scope. I think the phrase was "It's time to burn it down." Unfortunately, I don't think Frankensteenland gets it and we may see another sad chapter (think Eastern, Pan Am) in the downhill slide of this once-proud profession.

If someone in the Twin Cities actually grows a brain cell this year, think CRJ-900 flown by mainline pilots (albeit at a new de facto B scale).

Latest resources

Back