• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA went mudding...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think a noodle just came out of my nose I laughed so hard about the treadmill...

NWA DC-9's going off runways in the winter are like FedEx bending airplanes... No one is going to get hurt, but it's just going to happen.

Last edited:
I think a noodle just came out of my nose I laughed so hard...

NWA DC-9's going off runways in the winter are like FedEx bending airplanes... No one is going to get hurt, but it's just going to happen.

This is about the most honest and truthful post ever on these boards.

...."Memphis tower, can we take off before that MD11 on final, closes down the airport"

I think a noodle just came out of my nose I laughed so hard...

Cute comment, but I think they do a pretty reasonable job with having hubs in the snowlands of MSP and DTW, and flying to snowy outstations. You wanna try that all winter long in a diesel 9?

They don't do a reasonable job...they do a fantastic job. Just poking fun at reality.

I'm kinda surprised it doesn't happen more often!

Any RTO at 100kts at some of the places we fly that thing is a non-stop to turf-ville! I flew it for 7-years in the left seat, and found myself "along for the ride" on landing rollouts more than a few times. We had a DC-9 spin around a couple of times in Grand Forks...then slide off the side. The captain elected to evacuate...and the only injuries were one pax and one Crash Crew guy who slipped and fell on their keesters on the slick runway surface!

Too slick to walk on, but cool for jet ops?

That's nutty!

I tried to takeoff at Minot one time and couldn't do the required engine-clearing procedure because there wasn't a paved surface that could hold the aircraft still with the brakes set and the thrust at 70%!

Me: "Tower, do you have a braking action report for Northwest ____?"
Twr: "No, but a DC-9 that landed about an hour ago made it in ok"
Me: "That was us. It's been raining since then" [Note: "-FZRA" on the ATIS]
Twr: "Ok. Let me know if you want to takeoff"

They don't do a reasonable job...they do a fantastic job. Just poking fun at reality.

I'm cool. One story I have is about MSP and their ops. One 2002 winter morning with blue sky and 6-9 fresh inches my FO was on final to 30R, with red tails lined up for TO. Only the RWY looked shorter and narrower than usual. As in the MSP crews had only plowed it to 2/3 width and about 2/3 - 3/4 length. I just told him to land on the middle of where it was plowed. We had no length issues in a 1900, I don't know about all the big jets but there were maybe 15 of 'em lined up. Nothing on the ATIS either. All the plows were clearing 30L full length.

Try and talk DEN into doing that.

Occam--You get real good at "steering" with the reverser levers. (These newfangled FADEC planes just take the fun out of flying... ;) ) TC

Latest resources

Back