• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWA tech

Air travel

Northwest bets you'll pay for legroom

For $15, travelers can get once-free aisle, exit choices
March 14, 2006

Is is just one thing what makes NWA a terrible Airline. What a joke

I most definitely agree. It won’t last long…..wonder how that will work for their new LCC. Lets see….I am in bankruptcy so I think I will go and buy another airline and then charge extra for aisle seats and if passengers want to raise the sun shade they need to pay a “window viewing surcharge”. I heard that NW is going to install coin slots in the air vents….you want the luxury of cool air you have to pay for it…quarter will buy you 5 minutes.

Sorry for sarcasm…..this will sure help win over travelers and expedite NW’s exit from bankruptcy.

Well as an employee I'm not a big fan of management but this pricing is working in Europe and if these guys are doing the home work why not try it.After all leg room has some value or else people wouldn't be asking for it.

The problem with it is it makes the customer feel like he is getting ripped off. Much more so than if all the seats cost $15 more.

Reason enough for me not to fly on NWA given a choice.

I remember my grand father joking about "son one day we'll have to pay for air", I thought of this as I dropped my .50 to put air in my tires at the gas station.

Leg room

Well as an employee I'm not a big fan of management but this pricing is working in Europe and if these guys are doing the home work why not try it.After all leg room has some value or else people wouldn't be asking for it.

I am just not sure Americans are ready for it....you think. Hate the thought of NW getting hurt any further...Then again....all the other carriers might start the same. Wish the best for you and NW folks.

The airlines are going to do this because that's what the public wants . . cheap fares or something for nothing. Something for nothing's not gonna happen anymore. When people complain about the airlines, I feel like telling them to take the Dog or drive their own sorry butts to where they're going. I've had enough of the Walmart entitlement mentality of this society.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:25 am Post subject: NWA to charge $10 to take a growler.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AP
Northwest to Charge Extra for Onboard Bowel Movements
Tuesday March 14, 1:43 am ET
Northwest Airlines Corp. to Charge $10 Extra for Use of Bathroom

EAGAN, Minn. (AP) -- For an extra $10, Northwest Airlines Corp. will sell coach passengers a bathroom pass, good on all Northwest, Northwest Airlink, and Skyteam flights.

Starting Tuesday, Northwest will ask passengers on most domestic flights if they're interested in paying extra for the privilege of urinating or dropping the kids off in the pool.

The "Crapper Choice" program will involve at least one bathroom on Northwest's domestic flights.

Northwest's bathrooms involved in the program will feature scented hand soaps, gum, cologne, mints, and a "bathroom buddy" to hand you a towel.

Jim Cron, vice president of passenger marketing and sales, said Northwest is trying to give business travelers a more enjoyable lavatory experience. They're often the travelers who pay full fare, but often find that the bathroom feels cramped and dirty.

Northwest, the nation's fourth-largest airline, has been operating under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection since September. Cron acknowledged the carrier is scouting ways to increase revenue but declined to estimate how much the $10 fee might generate.

Draginass said:
The airlines are going to do this because that's what the public wants . . cheap fares or something for nothing. Something for nothing's not gonna happen anymore. When people complain about the airlines, I feel like telling them to take the Dog or drive their own sorry butts to where they're going. I've had enough of the Walmart entitlement mentality of this society.

I don't think anyone feels their entitled to a window seat or an aisle seat. What pisses people off, however, is that now you have to pay extra for the seat you can get at no additional charge today. But, by all means, I think we should continue to piss off the traveling public so the majors can stay in the state they're in. I'm sure there's a lot of people that could say the same thing about us. Don't like your pay and benefits? Go become a lawyer or join management.

If this pricing model shows any kind of success then all US airlines will be doing it within the year. NWA is just testing the waters.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back