Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gutshotdraw

ZERT Wilson CQB User
I'm trying to determine, through an admittedly unscientific process, what the outcome of the coming Member Ratification vote might be at NWA.

My better half believes it will pass, barely. A friend at dinner last night thinks it will fail badly based on what he saw and heard in DTW, MSP, and MEM this past week.

Much like 71kilo's straw poll on age 60, how about a poll of the NWA pilots on this board on how they will vote? Including information on seat position, age, and book color might be instructive also. Many will say one thing in the crew room and vote quite differently when the time comes. No need for long dissertations on why. As Joe Friday says "Just the facts."

I'm sure many from other carriers will want to chime in but there is already another thread covering what should happen. I'm hoping this poll might indicate what will happen.

This household will vote NO. F/O 48 Blue Book

320AV8R, I already have you down for a NO.

Red Tails?

Remember, the majority is usually pretty silent. Don't let the vocal minority fool you. It wont be a landslide but a few vocal chest pounders will always sway public opinion a little bit. Every town has it's clowns

Vote YES. Sorry guys, I think if it's voted down, management will only over reach further. Plus this is an industry standard contract, the USair and United guys gave it up when the stand should have been made.

Split and YPF,

Are you NWA? If so, what is your seat, age and book?

Just trying to keep this thread simple. Personal vote, not predictions or how others should vote.

gutshotdraw-

I initially had my mind made up, but am waiting until I see the whole TA & the associated fine print. YPF does have a point..... if it does not pass, the legal area is veeeeeery gray about what to expect next.

Either way, it's gonna be ugly.

320AV8R

Last edited:
YourPilotFriend said:
Vote YES. Sorry guys, I think if it's voted down, management will only over reach further. Plus this is an industry standard contract, the USair and United guys gave it up when the stand should have been made.

Just for your info we are currently negotiating a new contract at AWA/US Airways. I would expect some modest payraises. Also our E-190's were growth aircraft. If you guys replace your DC-9's with the 190's a large portion of your pilot group will take a substantial paycut above and beyond the reduced bookrates. The only pilots now on property bidding the 190 will be those who bid the left seat. If the TA does pass I would hope it would be an extremely short duration so you're not left holding the bag for years as NWA reaps massive profits.

Obviously you are in an unenviable position with high-stakes. Good luck....

gutshot, what difference does book color make now?

You can put The Spouse down as a NO. (CA/48)

And if you haven't seen it yet: www.crappyta.com

Guys, I can see both sides of this issue since I'm 48 but only have been with the company for 7 years. From where I sit it's an easy call to say no. I didn't work all my life to get to the majors only to work like a commuter pilot at commuter pay. I'm in favor of the scorched earth policy, but then I don't have 20 years at NWA. From my point of view I've got nothing to lose by voting NO since I'm not going to get a pension anyway and I'll be on the street by July.
Let's face it we all were secretly hoping that UNITED or USAIR would die and that things would get better for those companies left standing. Well they lived and have now lowered the bar for the rest of us.

What I really think needs to be done is for ALPA to step up and say "Look, this is the rate for an ALPA Pilot flying equipment A and this is the rate for B. Now set your ticket prices accordingly! If not we'll shut down the country for a day."

Oh, If only.

NWA B757 FO on the way down to the DC9, 48, hired in '99 and fed up.

81 Horse,

As 135drvr's post indicates, book color means a great deal. I think most of the Blue Book will vote NO. Many are young enough to find another flying job or a new career. Most of those close to retirement (Red and Green) will probably vote yes just to finish out the string.

We are prepared for scorched earth and at this point would prefer it to the slow death spiral. We are more fortunate than some, including good friends at the airline, since my employment is about as solid as this stupid industry gets (at least for now).

320- We have read it. Everything that has been made available. It's time to burn it down. Even if the airline survives, She Who Must Be Obeyed is getting out as soon as the opportunity presents itelf.

135drvr is spot on. This was a great career that has turned into a crappy job.

And, by the way, MM is done as President of the MEC even if this POS passes.

Northwest Airlines to Start Regional Subsidiary

March 12, 2006 8:00 p.m. EST

Denise Royal - All Headline News Staff Writer
Minneapolis, MN (AHN) - Northwest Airlines says it has bought the operating certificate of bankrupt FLYi Inc., a key move toward starting a new subsidiary for regional flying.
Northwest confirmed on Friday that it bought the operating certificate ''and related assets'' which it didn't name.

Northwest will pay $2 million for the certificate, FLYi disclosed in a bankruptcy court filing. The Federal Aviation Administration requires airlines to have operating certificates, and buying someone else’s is considered easier than completing the paperwork to start one from scratch.

Last week, Northwest reached a tentative agreement with pilots that allows it to start a subsidiary to fly planes with 51 to 76 seats -- a key size in Northwest's Midwestern markets.

The agreement also gives Northwest’s 700 laid-off pilots the first right to any jobs at the subsidiary. It also caps its size at 90 jets unless additional jets are matched one-for-one by new jets flown by mainline Northwest pilots.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back