• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA poolies?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My understanding was that the NWA pool was for those that were already hired and the DAL pool was for those waiting to interview. I could certainly be wrong but I did not think that anyone at DAL that was hired with a firm class date had it canceled. Is this true?

1.How many people are currently in the DAL pool?
2.How many people are currently in the NWA pool?
3.DAL said, that they would hire at the end of 2008 or early 2009; what is the new/ current plan?
4.What happens if one side is in need of pilots before both carriers operate as one. Does each side honor the other side’s pool? What are the restrictions? New interview? Seamless transition to the other side? A ratio for each class from each pool?
5.What would be the catalyst for future hiring?
6.What happened to the rumor about pulling DC9’ out of the desert?
7.What happened to the rumor about purchasing MD 90’s?
8.What’s the need for summer staffing? And when do they need to staff for that?
9.What is the date the DAL pool gets flushed? (I believe NWA pool will time out in April)
10.What will happen to the poolies form each side after their conditional offer of employment expires?

There seem to be lots of good plans for the future for the new Delta. I would think that somebody has to be thinking about future staffing. So, someone should have at least an idea of what is in the works; what the holdups are, and what is up for discussion in the future on the hiring front.
So… if anybody could please shed some light, there are people out there itching, and trying to make future plans. If you have any insight or try, for our sake to find out what is going on at each of the DAL sides…please…find out…and let us all know.

I have a friend that I recommended at NWA who is in the pool as well so I would like to see all in the pool get a call soon. Except for the actual number of those in the pool, I seriously doubt there is anyone who could accurately answer your questions. In the next year, Delta will be moving aircraft to different bases to match capacity with demand. There are an infinite number of scenarios which will call for significantly different staffing levels.

In the end, Delta will have to reduce capacity to match the demand. Most likely we will see more early retirement incentives and several leave of absence awards. Hopefully we can avoid furloughs but I am not completely optimistic about that.

I do hope that some sort of time extension is given to those on the pool so, at least, the poolies could be among those first to be in class when hiring resumes.

Last edited:
There has been many posts about NWA poolies. They always die off fast (unfortunately). People seem to hear rumors, have opinions, and are “in the know” about almost every subject up for discussion. Just not, when it does not concern them that much. Just like the senior person seems to be looking out for their interest, while disregarding the junior guys. The people in the pool feel no different then the junior guys on property right now. So, please, someone help us out with some information; try to find something out, that puts some clarity to our situation.

I will try to give you the answers that I have.

1.How many people are currently in the DAL pool?
Less than 40. Now we have an interview pool of people that had interviews scheduled that got canceled that is about that many.
2.How many people are currently in the NWA pool?
No idea, with the canceled classes it could be about 100
3.DAL said, that they would hire at the end of 2008 or early 2009; what is the new/ current plan?
Nope with the domestic capacity cuts that were just announced, we will not have any "planned hiring"
4.What happens if one side is in need of pilots before both carriers operate as one. Does each side honor the other side’s pool? What are the restrictions? New interview? Seamless transition to the other side? A ratio for each class from each pool?
It will not be an issue, as all of the invites will expire and we will have SOC before we hire.
5.What would be the catalyst for future hiring?
Better economy, and we actually announce more growth. We have stated 2011 to get back to 2007 levels.
6.What happened to the rumor about pulling DC9’ out of the desert?
None are planned to be pulled, but none are going to leave. Fuel being so cheap has given them a few more years
7.What happened to the rumor about purchasing MD 90’s?
It is close to being announced, but with the domestic capacity cuts, all announcements are on hold until the economy stabilizes.
8.What’s the need for summer staffing? And when do they need to staff for that?
Staffing need for this summer is projecting a surplus. Spring surplus is 362. Summer may be that way too if they cut the summer sked any more.
9.What is the date the DAL pool gets flushed? (I believe NWA pool will time out in April)
April--1 Year. But these individuals will have first dibbs on a re-interview when we start again.
10.What will happen to the poolies form each side after their conditional offer of employment expires?
Probably preferential interviews, but DAL will be doing the hiring, so it may be something different. For the NWA guys that failed their DAL interview, the jury is still out.

There seem to be lots of good plans for the future for the new Delta. I would think that somebody has to be thinking about future staffing. So, someone should have at least an idea of what is in the works; what the holdups are, and what is up for discussion in the future on the hiring front.
So… if anybody could please shed some light, there are people out there itching, and trying to make future plans. If you have any insight or try, for our sake to find out what is going on at each of the DAL sides…please…find out…and let us all know.
DAL has growth plans, but as any smart company that is sitting on a pile a cash, they are going to pay down debt in the down turn and shore up their operations. You will see new cities announcement and new aircraft added. I would look to late 09 early 10 for growth that would require a staffing modifications.
Hope this helps.

I believe by late 09, early '10 the Compass flow should be underway as well.... god (delta) willing.

Latest resources

Back