• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA makes $170M

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HA dont be so sensitive ;). Your digging into the comment to far. It wasnt meant to be a "slam" it was just a comment to show that the DC9s isnt the money drain alot of people like to characterize it as. If it was taken as a "slam" i kindly retract my statement. Otherwise my comments were mainly based on aircraft discussion points. We all know the DC9 wont fly FOREVER but most of us want it around in the meantime until WE get a replacement here at Mainline. The DC9 carries with it mainline jobs, nostalgia, and cheap ownership costs.
Cheers :beer:
No offense taken.. just having fun. Man you are quick! I was in the process of re-editing to make the ER sound more enticing when you responded! Cheers:beer:

I wish I knew what the hell you're talking about chuck yogurt, lawman, einstein, sky fly, etc. Whaaaaaaaaaaaa,:crying: how many other names do you have chucky?:D
BTW, sorry to hear about your furlough from midwest.

There you go with those names again. That guy really did have an affect on your life didn't he?? You miss the immature banter between the two of you.

Do you think you are going to get your banned 737pylt name back?

Have a nice life big guy.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:laugh:

There you go with those names again. That guy really did have an affect on your life didn't he?? You miss the immature banter between the two of you.

Do you think you are going to get your banned 737pylt name back?

Have a nice life big guy.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:laugh:

Chuck/lawman/einstein/skyfly/lame lizard, I think you're obsessed with 737pylt.
BTW, do you ever think you'll get your 15 other names back?:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Chuck/lawman/einstein/skyfly/lame lizard, I think you're obsessed with 737pylt.
BTW, do you ever think you'll get your 15 other names back?:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Ok Midge er Scope out RJ's or maybe its 737pylt errr what other ones do you have?

You (and others) seem to be irrationally, almost paranoically, defensive of your airline and especially of the dc-9.

I think some of the defense of the 9 was in response to a lot of heavy bashing here earlier (almost glee on the part of a few) about how the 9 was ancient, to be parked, and it's pilots furloughed and therefor not factored into the SLI.

Relax...you probably won't be forceably displaced to the nightmarish category of JFK International wide-body F/O, and have to suffer through layovers on the Cote d' Azur, or Athens or Venice or Tel-Aviv, etc...and be slapped with the added indignity of a 25% or so payraise.

No, after being displaced off of DC9 Captain back to the 757 I'll just bid it as my seniority allows :cartman:

Nor will you be displaced to any (and every other category position at the combined company) that will pay more, is more efficient, has better QOL, and has better technology than the dc-9.

There you guys go again with the old stuff again - it gets you down the road just fine - and is extremely fun to fly. If a DC3 or C172 were profitable for flying pax they'd be using them.

But it's not about you, but "our" company, right? You're right, maybe we should keep all the 9's (or maybe get more) so that the NW side can continue to show an operating profit!

Ummm - so DAL makes a profit?
and how much more would your profits have been had your dc-9's been some other comparable aircraft manufactured...lets see..-in the last decade and a half of the last century!;)

Got another true NB cabin 100-124 seater ready, deploable and already paid for? (sorry ~~~^~~~'s, a E175, CRJ900 don't cut it)

I think some of the defense of the 9 was in response to a lot of heavy bashing here earlier (almost glee on the part of a few) about how the 9 was ancient, to be parked, and it's pilots furloughed and therefor not factored into the SLI.
--I agree, (I've never been a DC9 basher, BTW) both sides have done some bashing and both sides have been defensive at times, but your side has a tiny bit more to be defensive about in defending the '9.(that sounds like bashing, doesn't it!--sorry)

No, after being displaced off of DC9 Captain back to the 757 I'll just bid it as my seniority allows :cartman:
--I assumed the respondent (Super?) was a DC9 F/O

There you guys go again with the old stuff again - it gets you down the road just fine - and is extremely fun to fly. If a DC3 or C172 were profitable for flying pax they'd be using them.
--unless, of course, you're low on gas and the wx is cat III!

Ummm - so DAL makes a profit?
--He was the one to compare profits between DAL and NWA, then give credit to the '9 when in fact it was more likely in spite of the '9!

Got another true NB cabin 100-124 seater ready, deploable and already paid for? (sorry ~~~^~~~'s, a E175, CRJ900 don't cut it)
No, but had you had one (717 or 737-700) your profits would have been even more..I would imagine even with lease or finance payments.......Fly, my whole post (while obviously overdone) was in response to super's friendly "dig" at DAL about profits and giving credit to the DC9 for those profits..:beer:

No, but had you had one (717 or 737-700) your profits would have been even more..I would imagine even with lease or finance payments.......Fly, my whole post (while obviously overdone) was in response to super's friendly "dig" at DAL about profits and giving credit to the DC9 for those profits..:beer:

Understood. Don't forget it was RA who was THE prime mover behind refurbing the DC9's as opposed to getting another current generation 100-124 seater. Also heard from a credible source that the MD's are more expensive to operate due to the lease payments and only a marginal fuel burn agvantage. It makes no sense to buy a new hull to save money on a paid one that fills it's specific niche very well.

Trust me, it is old, but like the MD's, is built like a proverbial brick s###house. Easy to fix, and will go for another 20 yrs if you want it to. Besides, how many aircraft can you still knock a gage with your knuckle to see if it's a stuck needle or a real problem?

I think I can safely say you guys would rather see a 100 DC9's hang around rather than see that flying go to Comair or PCL in the form of 76 seater's, regardless of how much International we get. Despite some of the hyperbole, I think most DAL new hires would rather (if it ever comes to it) be eventually be bumped to a DC9 F/O than onto the street.

Different topic - have you guys heard anything on the progress of SLI negotiations? Total vacuum of info on our side.

Crossing my fingers it a solution we all grumble about equally, and no one wants to do a jig, or go scorched earth over......

Last edited:
Understood. Don't forget it was RA who was THE prime mover behind refurbing the DC9's as opposed to getting another current generation 100-124 seater. Also heard from a credible source that the MD's are more expensive to operate due to the lease payments and only a marginal fuel burn agvantage. It makes no sense to buy a new hull to save money on a paid one that fills it's specific niche very well.

Trust me, it is old, but like the MD's, is built like a proverbial brick s###house. Easy to fix, and will go for another 20 yrs if you want it to. Besides, how many aircraft can you still knock a gage with your knuckle to see if it's a stuck needle or a real problem?

I think I can safely say you guys would rather see a 100 DC9's hang around rather than see that flying go to Comair or PCL in the form of 76 seater's, regardless of how much International we get. Despite some of the hyperbole, I think most DAL new hires would rather (if it ever comes to it) be eventually be bumped to a DC9 F/O than onto the street.

Different topic - have you guys heard anything on the progress of SLI negotiations? Total vacuum of info on our side.

Crossing my fingers it a solution we all grumble about equally, and no one wants to do a jig, or go scorched earth over......
Fly: I agree totally and hope the DC9 stays around long enough to have complete replacement by a mainline aircraft..hopefully something like the 737-700. We too, have had a total blackout of communication about SLI..probably for the best for now....Although someone on the DAL forum tried to start a rumor last week that the top 400 slots were going to NWA then a 7/6 ratio after that...the rumor was very quickly shot down by our communications chairman....funny how rumor generation always seems to disfavor the group that starts the rumor..:beer:

Heyas F4H,

Don't forget, the magic "$100/bbl" break even point for the DC-9 was calculated with fares from 2 years ago. There have been multiple fare increases since then, and oil SEEMS to be declining.

As someone wise pointed out, the DC-9s act as an "accumulator". Cheap lift that is ready at a moment's notice.

The DC-9s sunning themselves in AZ are parked, not retired, and are maintained to fly with only a few days notice. They cost the company nearly zero to maintain that way, and all you have to do is pull the covers off, add fuel and you're ready to go flying.

Heck, you don't even need to charge the battery...just roll 'em downhill and let the clutch out (a benefit to not having all that new-fangled "electronic ignition").

To Occam's credit, he pointed out that most of the -9s have stayed around according to the retirement schedule from several years ago. My guess is that you'll see the last of the -9s leave according to that...sometime around 2024, and that the last DC-9 captain at NWA/DAL has yet to be hired.

RA came into a pilot meeting in MSP around 1999, and gleefully announced that the last DC-9 captain had finally been born, so who knows.

Nu

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back