NWA had same problem as AF 447

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Except for elevator jack screws and rudder hard overs, that is

ONE improperly maintained jack screw fails out of all the basic9 and 80series ac.

It wouldn't have failed completely BTW even on that flight had they not kept screwing with the damn thing once it was jammed...and just did a precautionary landing with a slightly less than ideal trim setting...

So give me a break...

And who says the video game aircraft are immune to hard overs?

And who says the video game aircraft are immune to hard overs?

I'm not an engineer, but I'd guess that since the computers are monitoring the flight control positions and actuators, if an actuator had a hardover, it would be disabled if possible, and a fault would be displayed.

It wouldn't have failed completely BTW even on that flight had they not kept screwing with the damn thing once it was jammed...and just did a precautionary landing with a slightly less than ideal trim setting...

I always wondered why, when they had the aircraft in landing configuration, they felt the need to jack with it.

Thread creep off.

Gup

I call B.S. on this one guys - a detailed e-mail received from a "friend of a friend" less than 36 hours after the incident... I fly the little bus and find the scenario entirely plausible, however, this is reminiscent of the AF 447 cabin "crash photos".......

I call B.S. on this one guys - a detailed e-mail received from a "friend of a friend" less than 36 hours after the incident... I fly the little bus and find the scenario entirely plausible, however, this is reminiscent of the AF 447 cabin "crash photos".......

Can any NWA guys verify?

Baja.

If its true it will get around pretty quick. As for the guy talking about rudder hard over, both this incident and AF rudder protection is lost only. Any rudder excursion would most likely be induced by the pilot. BTW if the NWA story is true thank goodness the Capt most likely started his carrier on DC9 B727 or CV 580 and had some basic flying skill...

Have not heard any information on this from operations. It seems odd that after an event such a this, a pilot would be e-mailing this to a friend. I know that there have been other events with the A330, but this is a first. Operating the largest A330 fleet you would think that the "pitot tube" event may have happened earlier, certainly not right after the AF crash.

"they're immune because the rudder just leaves the airframe before it happens."

Alright that was some funny sh1t

Latest resources

Back