• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
-Approx 60% of senior pilots retiring at 60
-787's coming next year
-NWA has a lean staffing formula and they're short pilots

Nobody knows what's gonna happen to compass if the NWA/DAL merger goes through. I wouldn't be too concerned about a flowback

-Approx 60% of senior pilots retiring at 60

Yes, all well and good - but with 60 now being the new 55 many say they'll retire early ( general truism, not specific to NWA) yet continue to use the leverage of seniority for $$$ and QOL when the day of the big Six-Oh dawns.

On the road as a senior captain making money, having adventures and visiting with loved ones or time spent at home pulling in a reduced pension and looking at the wife all day? Go figure.

The latest excuse for continuing past 60 is that it's only for an additional two years until SS kicks in -but come 62 it'll be some other reason to stay. Regardless of stated intent, I'll bet that few go at 60.

The latest excuse for continuing past 60 is that it's only for an additional two years until SS kicks in -but come 62 it'll be some other reason to stay. Regardless of stated intent, I'll bet that few go at 60.

Why would they stay? I spoke to a 757 Captain who said he makes $8000/month right now and would make $11,000 a month if he retired at 60. Meaning if he retired he would be working for $3000/month, which is approximately the same as a second year regional FO.:confused:

Why indeed? Here, one person in the last year has retired early but so far 28 due to retire in '08 have stated the intent to carry on - citing SS drawn at 62 as the reason. I also look at the time/money equation and find that it doesn't favorably balance but some do seem to have tied their identities to the job.

Why would they stay? I spoke to a 757 Captain who said he makes $8000/month right now and would make $11,000 a month if he retired at 60. Meaning if he retired he would be working for $3000/month, which is approximately the same as a second year regional FO.:confused:

Oy... a 757 Captain not making over 100k a year. Not good.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back