NWA DC9's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NuGuy said:
The average DOB on the DC-9-10s was around 1963. They have since been retired.

First flight of the DC9 was February 25, 1965, or 40 years ago this coming Friday:cool:

Nick5600 said:
I think NWA confuses them selves about being North East! IF you ever look at the new paint jobs on the right side of the aircraft the arrow painted on the compass rose points north east! I really just wonder how many planes they painted before the realized the screw up. Further I hope all NWA pilots know the difference between north east and north west! They might have trouble navigating otherwise!

They planned it that way.. They wanted the "compass" to point foreward on both sides to represent the company's idea of moving foreward.. or something like that. Also, they probably believe (as do I) that a great deal of their customers had/have no idea about the old paint scheme in which the little wedge points to the Northwest....

Humty72 said:
customers had/have no idea about the old paint scheme in which the little wedge points to the Northwest....

Wedge?....Northwest?....what are you talking about??!!

It is clear to anyone that the old paint scheme was a bowling shoe! I mean come on.....what do you take us for? :D

NuGuy said:
The average DOB on the DC-9-10s was around 1963. They have since been retired. Most of the rest are between 1967 and 1974. Most of the -50s were built in 1978-79.

They are the absolute tops. Best reliability and dispatch record of any aircraft at the majors. I haven't seen a MX CX in many, many months and most MELs, if any, are very minor. I think I've seen only one deferred APU in 3 years.

There really is nothing much to break. No resetting CBs to get the brains back into sync or to reset the IRU. No complicated GPS or RNAV, as they all come equipped with "vector capable" comm radios.

Most of the engines are leased from UAL for pennies on the dollar.

Still, they aren't quite the same as the DC-9s of old. In the overhaul, the interiors were all gutted and have large overhead bins and a 3rd lav up front. Lots of fixes to perennial DC-9 problems, such as gear indicators and fuel gauges, have been upgraded to solid state (proximity switches replaced microswitches, and the fuel gauges are now all digital). The presurization system is all digital now, and is set and forget. Digital altimeters allow for RSVM and new radar displays have the EGPWS. They even have dual nav/com heads (aka primary and standby freqs) and are wired for headsets.

The AC still is weak in the summer...they went old tech for a solution to that one...sun screens. They work unbelievably well.

Nu

Not only that but they upgraded the engines to runn off of Jet A instead of coal

All NWA has to do is keep a supply of rebuilt -100's around so when the gezzers shell out they can replace them. Yeah they save money on the A/C but what about fuel and Maintenance cost. I tend to see at least one parked sans engine every where they fly.

I understand they run on coal oil and not Jet A? (jk)

Jobear

In the Free Press

The Detroit Free Press has an article in the business section today and it states the NWA has one the lowest operating costs in the airline industry due to its large DC-9 fleet. They are all paid for and can be parked with no penalty when business is slow. As opposed to a new airplane with a $300K lease payment that has to fly to cover the payment. The DC-9 has a very high dispatch reliability; due to the fact there is spare parked across the field to fill the slot. Average age of fleet NWA 18.3 yrs, ATA 3.7 the youngest. In the late 90's they made a decision to refurbish old airplanes instead of buying new ones, right now it looks like a very good idea.

I wonder what Herman would say about the whole thing ? Where exactly was the bird buried ?

Much better looking logo than the 'compass'... I heard they screwed up and covered their tracks with some MBA bs.... Typical NWA crap...

God bless those ol 9's. I spent several years wrenching on the ol girls. Aaaahhh... Love changing those Aug valves.... !!!
Still have a couple scars on my knuckles...

Keep em flying.... Never forget Herman boys...

pilotyip said:
Average age of fleet NWA 18.3 yrs, ATA 3.7 the youngest.

Where do those figures come from? I would guess that JB has the newest, AirTran probably the second.

ATA ordered a ton a new 737s and 757s in 2000. Those new airplane obligations are a big part of why they're in so much financial trouble right now.

Latest resources

Back