• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA DC9 replaced by the CRJ900

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am also looking for that part. They replace the 36 Avros they had...

36 Avros..... which replaced DC9-10's back-n-the-day when I worked for XJ....

I WAS the Mesaba pilot who stole NWA's flying :), but I only flew the Saab, so I was only stealin' 30-34 at a time.

-fate

What's up with Compass? I heard some NWA DC9 pilots will be 'flowing back' to Compass when the -9s are parked. Can you say Amercian Eagle?

I'd say it's not very hard to figure out.

NWA is going to start getting rid of the 9's and won't replace them with an equivalent-size aircraft.

Compass, MSA, PCL, etc will get all the new 90-seaters, flown at regional rates.

What's not to understand?

Incidentally, had a little fun in IAD last week with a Compass crew: CRJ pulls out in front of us on the ramp taxiing for Spot 73. Ramp tower tells us: "Follow the RJ, contact ground at Spot 73".

I say, "Following the Mesaba 50-seater, ground at 73."

CRJ says, "Actually, we're Compass".

I say, "Hmmm, tail says XJ on it. Guess that doesn't mean anything, after all. So much for Scope at Northwest."

Dead silence. :D

No offense, I just think whipsawing and Scope concessions suck...

Don't feel bad. They not only negotiated the deal, the majority voted it in. NWA pilots should have nothing negative to say at all. I might be wrong, but I believe 76% felt it was good enough to accept. So unless you actually shot JFK, you should have no remorse.

-TG

"The CRJ900 regional jet will provide Northwest customers with best-in-class comfort, including dual class service," said Neal Cohen, Mesaba Airlines chairman, and Northwest Airlines executive vice president and chief financial officer. "Customers will appreciate the features and comfortable flight experience this aircraft provides."

Best-in-class comfort? YGTBSM! There is absolutely no comparison in cabin comfort vs the E190. I wonder if he was able to keep a straight face while spewing forth this BS.

Okay so first of all, to tin goose, if those of us at XJ did not accept the court impose cuts, we would be sitting far worse off than the NWA flight attendants who left a lot of money on the table. We were going to take cuts no matter what, you can thank our government for that one. It was a court/government sanctioned sham bankruptcy.

Second, whoever said we have nothing to complain about, you should have been here for the last few years and see what its been like, airplanes and pilots leaving, moving bases, planes and lives messed up.

oh and about the pay rates, its not as drastic as many believe. A four year capt on a 900 with 76 seats makes 65 an hour I think. I know thats not good, but just look at the majors at a 110 seat rate and figure it out for yourself. We are not undercutting whats not already ruined. Oh and by the way, we will be getting snap backs.

Oh and about taking someones job? I do not think these will replace the 9 at NWA. They are at max capacity already and will not hurry up their schedule for parking the 9's. That schedule is years old and being followed pretty strictly from what I hear. The compass planes, now thats another story. Once they get more, I think thats the threat, our 900's are replacing that crappy jet we used to have....the Avro I think it was called. Everyone knows it cannot make a profit especially in Europe where fuel and crew costs are more costly! Oh did I forget to mention that the Avro was the most un-pilot friendly airplane I ever flew! (hear the sarcasm?)

Press ReleaseSource: Mesaba Airlines Mesaba Airlines Receives FAA Certification to Fly the State-of-the-Art CRJ900 Regional Jet
Monday June 4, 1:18 pm ET
EAGAN, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mesaba Airlines, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Northwest Airlines operating under the Northwest Airlink banner, announced today that it has received U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification to operate the 76-seat Bombardier Canadair Regional Jet 900 (CRJ900).

"This is a very proud day for us," said John Spanjers, Mesaba Airlines president and chief operating officer. "A special note of thanks goes to our exceptional and dedicated employees - pilots, flight attendants, maintenance technicians, and training personnel - everyone who worked so diligently to make CRJ900 certification a reality."
Mesaba took delivery of its first of 36 CRJ900 aircraft on May 24, 2007. The new dual-class aircraft will serve communities in the Heartland of the U.S. and beyond from Northwest's Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Memphis hubs. The airline expects the CRJ900 to begin revenue service on June 7, 2007.
"The CRJ900 regional jet will provide Northwest customers with best-in-class comfort, including dual class service," said Neal Cohen, Mesaba Airlines chairman, and Northwest Airlines executive vice president and chief financial officer. "Customers will appreciate the features and comfortable flight experience this aircraft provides."
The CRJ900 features 12 seats in first class, arranged in a one seat-aisle-two seats configuration, and 64 seats in coach class, arranged in a two seats-aisle-two seats configuration.

...but, it's still Northwest.:puke:

Last edited:
Hawk,

My comments were not directed toward the Mesaba/Pinnacle pilots. Mainline is who controls your scope restrictions. If they didn't want Mesaba/Pinnacle/Compass flying 76 seat aircraft, they shouldn't have released the scope. Nobody wins in this situation. One more reason for a single list and hard payrates.

-TG

the perception still stands about regionals taking majors jobs. Give me a break, heck I would love to not be flying at a regional, I wish the line in the sand was that turbo props were regional and jets were majors. But as things sit, ALPA made the bed, now we have to sleep in it.

Latest resources

Back