Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

luckytohaveajob

NWA Mainline DC9 replaced by the regional CRJ900

Press ReleaseSource: Mesaba Airlines Mesaba Airlines Receives FAA Certification to Fly the State-of-the-Art CRJ900 Regional Jet
Monday June 4, 1:18 pm ET
EAGAN, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mesaba Airlines, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Northwest Airlines operating under the Northwest Airlink banner, announced today that it has received U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification to operate the 76-seat Bombardier Canadair Regional Jet 900 (CRJ900).

"This is a very proud day for us," said John Spanjers, Mesaba Airlines president and chief operating officer. "A special note of thanks goes to our exceptional and dedicated employees - pilots, flight attendants, maintenance technicians, and training personnel - everyone who worked so diligently to make CRJ900 certification a reality."
Mesaba took delivery of its first of 36 CRJ900 aircraft on May 24, 2007. The new dual-class aircraft will serve communities in the Heartland of the U.S. and beyond from Northwest's Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Memphis hubs. The airline expects the CRJ900 to begin revenue service on June 7, 2007.
"The CRJ900 regional jet will provide Northwest customers with best-in-class comfort, including dual class service," said Neal Cohen, Mesaba Airlines chairman, and Northwest Airlines executive vice president and chief financial officer. "Customers will appreciate the features and comfortable flight experience this aircraft provides."
The CRJ900 features 12 seats in first class, arranged in a one seat-aisle-two seats configuration, and 64 seats in coach class, arranged in a two seats-aisle-two seats configuration.

Last edited:
Guys, I can't keep quiet anymore. This has been on my shoulders for too long:

I'm the Mesaba pilot who's been stealing all the Northwest flying. I'm sorry. It was greedy of me.

I also shot JFK.

I'm so ashamed.

I am also looking for that part. They replace the 36 Avros they had...

Oh, so its not NWA flying till Compass is doing it right? So 36 CRJ900's by Mesaba is just an RJ85 replacement, but what happens when they order 37?

Compass will be flying both the E170/190 and the CRJ900's but ALPA protected NWA jobs. Yea right!

In other news, Neal Cohen was removed today as the CFO of NWA. He is now the CEO of both compass and mesaba outright.

My examples might be circumstantial but it is none the less valid concerning the demise of the DC9 at NWA.

NWA will lower its DC9 pilot costs by 300% from $150 per hour as a captain in 2001 to $50 per hour as a CRJ900 captain in 2007.

Enjoy the demise of the career and thank ALPA for holding the line to lower standards.

Latest resources

Back