• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA DC-9's - how is it to fly?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An airplane that requires thought to fly. Bet that eats a lot of guys' lunch these days.

"The last job in America where you have to do math

in your head" :)

Not my quote but quite accurate.

DB

Any pilot who does not always do the math in their head, regardless of what magic is on the panel in front of them, is a numbskull...

An airplane that requires thought to fly. Bet that eats a lot of guys' lunch these days.

Most people at this level of flying do just fine with the transition. I went from glass/fms to steam gauge and it wasn't difficult to go back to the round dials. It was actually alot of fun, especially the hand flown NDB approaches we had to do in training. ;)

Most people at this level of flying do just fine with the transition. I went from glass/fms to steam gauge and it wasn't difficult to go back to the round dials. It was actually alot of fun, especially the hand flown NDB approaches we had to do in training. ;)

I went from steam to glass. I've never been so dumb in my life.... I think I turned stupid as soon as I turned on the avionics the first time.

Hi!

I am very, very excited about the prospect of leaving the DC-9 for something, anything, glass.

I'm tired of trying to keep the oxen moving, and on track, on the long trail to the promised land: The Tillamook Valley, OR. And, I haven't even been an Oxen Driver that long!

cliff
YIP

Spent over 9 years in the left seat. Was great to fly. Rewarding for the challenges of landing on alot of snow/ice packed 6000' runways. The Canadian and Montana layovers were great. Loosing those cities I finally bid off to the 757. Staying with the F/A's also a plus. Very social vs. the other fleets. Use your own brain keeps you engaged. The 757 brain acts like an 80 year-old. Certainly a part of the resume that will contain most of the fond memories of real flying in the airlines. I have had more fun in the smaller cities pubs. I'd go back if longevity pay ever evolves. If the -717's show up I'd think about it.

The 9 does not sound like it would be good for my ADD, and another question how do you guys manage to space out for 20-30 mins at a time in that thing?

ATC: "Northwest XXX, cleared direct Eau Claire, Eau Claire 8 arrival."

CA: "Roger, direct Eau Claire, Eau Claire 8, Northwest XXX."

FO: "But, the VOR at Eau Claire is out of service."

CA: "See that town out over there around our 10 o'clock?"

FO: "Yeah"

CA: "Fly to that, that's Eau Claire."

Latest resources

Back