NWA answer to pending strike of FA's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
accinelli said:
NWA will never be "THE CARRIER" to work for. Unless of course they get rid of every flight attendant they have, followed by majority of the gate agents and top it off by shutting down DTW and MEM (probably the worst hubs in the history of commercial aviation) and half of their &^*7 for brains -- pilots. Do that and then they might possibly have a chance.

Don't forget terminating the ENTIRE management team.

Let's remember to place the blame where the incompatence and ethical bankruptcy is.

Fly4hire said:
I don't know why I bother......only negativity, doom and gloom, and anonymous flaming are welcome here.....

.....yes, NWA got slammed hard, and is a shadow of the former place it was to work. That said it is still better than ANY regional, ANY 121 Supplemental, and anything other than perhaps FDX, UPS if are young enough (and if you don't mind the schedule and no pass privlidges) and SWA (if you don't mind the kind of flying for the rest of your life). AA is going to get hit hard, and CAL while perhaps a happier place to work has no better total benefits. U/AWA had lower pay and benefits before we even took the cuts. JB and AirTran are going to be the next Peoples Express and Western Pacific. The Fracs are the JB of corporate aviation, and I'll never schlep another rich guys bag, empty their feces from the head, or eat their left over catering again.

Except for the 3 aforementioned, every other job in the aviation industry is worse than what NWA has to offer. They have the best long term outlook in the industry, and I'll bet 5 yrs from now will be THE carrier everyone wants to get on with.

I have to truly laugh when I hear indignant RJ pilots talk about how they would never apply at NWA. Please, pass all your names so we can make sure not even to waste the paper on sending you an application.

YourPilotFriend has a lot of the details correct, and I agree with a lot of his assessments of the future staffing and upgrade scenarios there. Yeah the pay sucks and will for a while. Please enjoy your much better RJ career, or driving a cab that I hear is so much better a living......

Please do tell, how is AA going to get hit so hard? By what?

Maybe I will just follow what your signature says. You seem to have everything figured out!!!

AAflyer

May I recommend a side gig with Air Inc, to supplement your NWA pay.

eaglefly said:
Don't forget terminating the ENTIRE management team.

Let's remember to place the blame where the incompatence and ethical bankruptcy is.

Learn to spell first. Its no fun debating with an idiot.

AAflyer said:
Please do tell, how is AA going to get hit so hard? By what?

Maybe I will just follow what your signature says. You seem to have everything figured out!!!

AAflyer

May I recommend a side gig with Air Inc, to supplement your NWA pay.

I predict that AA, either in or out of Ch11 will endure further concessions that will lower you within a percentage point or two of all the other post or current Ch11 legacy carriers. The only reason you are not Ch11 now is that APA caved deep and early the first time in an honest effort to avoid Ch11, but it's still not enough to compete against the current DAL,CAL, UAL, NWA, and U/AWA cost structure.

Not a statement of what's right or wrong, or who set the precedent, just how I see it shaking out. I do however find it a little ironic, that NWA, as the latest to cave is villified as the scourge of the industry, where all those that set the stage for NWA's Ch11 contract are somehow now vindicated......

Last edited:
Fly4hire said:
I predict that AA, either in or out of Ch11 will endure further concessions that will lower you within a percentage point or two of all the other post or current Ch11 legacy carriers. The only reason you are not Ch11 now is that APA caved deep and early the first time in an honest effort to avoid Ch11, but it's still not enough to compete against the current DAL,CAL, UAL, NWA, and U/AWA cost structure.

Not a statement of what's right or wrong, or who set the precedent, just how I see it shaking out. I do however find it a little ironic, that NWA, as the latest to cave is villified as the scourge of the industry, where all those that set the stage for NWA's Ch11 contract are somehow now vindicated......

You are not villified, every legacy pilot group has done their fair share to destroy what we once known as "the bar". However you should study your costs more closely. We would need to give on productivity alone to meet CAL's pilot costs. Our S80 crews now have an aircraft specific CASM close to that of SWA.

With (as you like to say) our high costs we still posted a roughly $300 million 2nd quarter profit. We will post a 3rd quarter profit, and most likekly a profit for the year. We will not be giving into another concessionary contract.

What I find ironic is you seem almost seem giddy at the thought of another pilot group taking it in the shorts.

AAflyer

By the way, when your pilot group went to negotiate we and most other legacies were operating under our concessionary contract, why wouldn't you just give in... So you could compete like you are now, why the big "we will walk we will strike ploy?" Why can your company not afford to pay you your old rates? Do you think that is the reason you went banckrupt? You are a management wet dream.

Why could you not get SWA payrates. If their rates are so high won't SWA go out of business? Pilot costs do not cause an airline to go out of business. A poor management team and poor business strategy cause a company to go out of business.

We are no where near BK. Sorry....

Last edited:
accinelli said:
Learn to spell first. Its no fun debating with an idiot.

A feeble attempt at verbal retaliation.

If that's your best (a spelling or grammatical error), then you've failed miserably.

I like to debate with someone I can identify.

"accinelli" sounds like you combined your rectum with an Italian dinner dish.

AAflyer said:
Y

Why could you not get SWA payrates. If their rates are so high won't SWA go out of business? Pilot costs do not cause an airline to go out of business. A poor management team and poor business strategy cause a company to go out of business.

We are no where near BK. Sorry....
Two words: "pricing power". If you can't set tickets to the price you make money your airline goes out of business even if you have a management dream team. Employee costs are part of the big picture. The reason SWA was so successful was because it had an untouchable model that could go into an airport analyze the best routes, cut fares to increase capacity and make loads of cash. Now it appears SWA is looking for its own routes to compete in markets with themselves. I don't understand it at all. We have the same CASM on routes we get a high RPM on and SWa comes in and lowers the RPM. There is no increase in capacity or money to be made in these tapped out markets. Now as SWa loses its prcing power it will somehow have to find a way to increase its load factors to generate the same revenue to reach predicted targets. However, now SWa should be controlling capacity, but instead they are adding it. Things should get interesting.

What I find ironic is you seem almost seem giddy at the thought of another pilot group taking it in the shorts.

Not at all - the more carriers that can keep scales higher the better for the rest of us to eventually pattern bargin back up. I do unfortunately see the pattern against us at the moment for the pax carriers.

Labor was absolutely not the cause of BK, however once we were there they were able to effectively bludgeon us with threats of dire consequences. They did a better job of negotiating than we did.

We are no where near BK. Sorry

Hope you stay that way, however I have no doubt AA will use the threat thereof - like they did last time - to have their way with you. Want to talk about mgmt wet dreams - they didn't even have to go there to get what they wanted out of you.

Last edited:
YourPilotFriend said:
I don't understand it at all. We have the same CASM on routes we get a high RPM on and SWa comes in and lowers the RPM.

That's why you're a Management Pilot and not Upper Management. You say you don't understand it, heck your whole Management at Northwest doesnt understand it. And they never will.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back