• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hutchman

Northwest Recalls Idle Flight Attendants
Thursday September 7, 10:15 am ET
By Joshua Freed, AP Business Writer Northwest Airlines Recalls All Furloughed Flight Attendants
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Northwest Airlines Corp. is recalling all 1,131 furloughed flight attendants, in a move that will boost the size of of its cabin staff as it awaits a judge's ruling on whether those workers can strike.
NWA, which is reorganizing under bankruptcy protection, said the recalled workers will fill permanent vacancies beginning Sept. 30. The recall applies to workers who had volunteered for furloughs as well as involuntary furloughs.
"The current vacancies are created by a number of factors, including some modest operational growth and flight attendant attrition," the airline said in a statement issued late Wednesday after the union announced the recalls in a hotline message.
On Thursday, spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch declined to comment on whether the recall was driven in part by a possible strike.
The Association of Flight Attendants said that workers who don't respond to recall letters within a week will be assumed to have resigned.
Flight attendants have been trying to win legal permission for random, unannounced walkouts aimed at pressuring Northwest to offer them a better contract.
Northwest has said a strike would be illegal, and that its solvency would be in danger if job actions drove customers away. A bankruptcy judge's ruling allowed a strike, but Northwest appealed to U.S. District Court Judge Victor Marrero in New York to block walkouts. Marrero could rule at any time
Northwest, which is trying to emerge from bankruptcy, imposed $195 million in cuts on flight attendants with a judge's permission on July 31 after union members twice voted down two negotiated settlements. Flight attendants have said the pay cuts amount to as much as 40 percent when health insurance increases are factored in, although Northwest has disputed that figure. Flight attendants have said the cuts have caused some lower-seniority employees to leave Northwest for other jobs.

All employee's should be recalled by the end of this year possibly a little into 2007. Pilot interviewing off the street is going to start soon after.

The question is....Who in their right mind still wants to work there? In the next two years most airlines will be hiring again. So why would anybody want to work under this brutal mgmt team and subject themselves to a career with such intense unrest?

I myself used to want to work for NWA, however after seeing first hand how they do business ( i use this term loosely). I want to stay as far from anything with red paint on it as I can.

Good luck to you all
Schmitty

YourPilotFriend said:
All employee's should be recalled by the end of this year possibly a little into 2007. Pilot interviewing off the street is going to start soon after.

And how will AMFA factor into the equation?

Terry Hunter said:
And how will AMFA factor into the equation?
All former mechanics were already offered their jobs back and many took it.

schmitty340 said:
The question is....Who in their right mind still wants to work there? In the next two years most airlines will be hiring again. So why would anybody want to work under this brutal mgmt team and subject themselves to a career with such intense unrest?

I myself used to want to work for NWA, however after seeing first hand how they do business ( i use this term loosely). I want to stay as far from anything with red paint on it as I can.

Good luck to you all
Schmitty
They still offer a pension. haha

Hutchman said:
The Association of Flight Attendants said that workers who don't respond to recall letters within a week will be assumed to have resigned.

I guess this was the wrong time to take that one-week vacation.

Hutchman said:

I think I had 10 or 14 days or something like that to respond to my F/A recall letter from AA in 2002. The company expects you to be sitting there pining away just WAITING for them to recall you, and that you'll JUMP at the chance to come back. Oh, and that you'll fall all over yourself thanking them for the opportunity to! Recall school was 2 days of sunshine being blown up our neither-regions, kind of a bitter pill after being thrown out on my arse not 6 months earlier with 2 days notice. (Not to mention getting refurloughed again 6 months later!)

A long, long time ago it was my biggest dream to work for NWA (as a F/A). It was the airline my dad always used to fly, and it would have gotten me back up north. I had my chance, an interview in Jan of 1997, but about halfway into the interview (that was going very, very well) the interviewer said they had to verify my height since I was so close to their 5'2" cutoff. So they stuck me in front of a wall with a post-it note at where 5'2" was supposed to be, and I came up 1/2" too short. That was the end of the interview. I went home devastated. Now, that event just makes me believe in divine fate. Cause there's no way in hell I'd ever work there now!

What is going on with AFA? Are they negotiating? Any clue as to when the Judge will rule? Seems to me he has had plenty of time to get caught up with the case.

Anyone know when these FA's were furloughed. I would guess the recalled would just widen the gap between yes and no (more towards no) if a vote ever came about.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back