Nwa Amfa Hangs Alone, You Are Next

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
Isn't that effectively what occurred when NWA started sending mechanics home early Friday evening?

Actually, no. Any AMFA mechanic can return to work at this very moment if that person agrees to NWA management terms, which are even worse than the so called "final best offer". Of course none have nor probably will.

For F'ing sake! Raise the ticket price according to the fuel price!! Thats IT. We won't have to fire people left and right. Why does NWA continue to buck eveyone else when they try to raise the price? And why do the others give up to NWA?

73belair said:
And why do the others give up to NWA?

The $1,000,000 question.:confused:

LCC structurees

For F'ing sake! Raise the ticket price according to the fuel price!! Thats IT. We won't have to fire people left and right. Why does NWA continue to buck eveyone else when they try to raise the price? And why do the others give up to NWA?

It's called COMPETITION! As long as SWA is fuel hedged at their very low rates, they set the ticket prices. Jet Blue is still young and its cost structure reflects that. The rest of the legacy carriers have to keep their ticket prices in check with the competition or they lose even more than they are now. I would think that SWA could raise prices and still be the lowest price out there. It would be pure profit. Airline economics, its pure voodo!:eek:

Tim47SIP said:
It's called COMPETITION! As long as SWA is fuel hedged at their very low rates, they set the ticket prices.

I agree about competition, but SW doesn't compete with NW on most of its routes, so I think blaming SW is a little bit unfair.

73belair said:

You need to study airline economics 101. This isn't a new idea. If you raise the the price too much, people stop flying on your airline. The delicate balance between filling seats and making money on them is what this is all about. Fill the seats and make no money or don't fill the seats...either one is bad for business. The bean counters have made a science out of this. They monitor trends in bookings and the second a price increase is announced, the bookings fall off as tickets are bought on the competition. aka "free market economy".

Tim47SIP said:
I would think that SWA could raise prices and still be the lowest price out there. It would be pure profit. :eek:

The problem with fares is not that they are competing with Southwest, it's that they are competing with the other Legacy morons that are engaged in economic suicide. The last great game of chicken to see who can knock who off the mountain. Our ticket prices are set so that we MAKE a profit, unfortunately the egos that be are trying to out do each other. Until every airline raises their fares to a level that ensures profitability, this trend will continue. If that price is $40 more than Southwest so be it, someone will just have to start sucking it up and realizing that with our productivity and fuel hedges, we have a clear advantage.

NWA management is playing this one "beatifully". First, sign a deal with the group that has the most to lose and is the hardest to replace. Then take on the smallest union, who has little support from the rest and no support from the IAM due to politics . To further show resolve, start showing the F/A's, that replacement workers are being trained. It is quite the plan indeed, apparently being condoned by the White House, since NWA asked that a PEB should not be invoked.

The biggest loser here, besides the AMFA members, will be the F/A's, because NWA will soon make some serious demands on them. It is therefore very sad, that the F/A's has chosen not to support AMFA!

Your Point?

Ace McCoy said:
Don't forget that 15% was after a 10% raise. About the only raise anyone got after 9/11
Ace...your point is.....? That 10% was to buy time for both sides. If you want to bring in past raises, look and see what the raises were in the last AMFA contract (hint: way more than 10%). Both are water under the bridge and neither have any bearing on what is going on now. I happen to support the AMFA folks. Many of them are my neighbors and friends. I wasn't trying to fan the flames, I was just pointing out some erroneous facts presented in the initial post in the thread regarding what the pilots make at NWA. I think there is already enough misinformation flying around without posting numbers pulled out of somone's rectum as facts.

ExAF said:
I think there is already enough misinformation flying around without posting numbers pulled out of somone's rectum as facts.

What numbers are wrong? 10% raise in Sept 2002...15% cut last year. And that means NWA pilots have taken the smallest pay cut of any legacy carrier since 9/11.

I think the misleading number is the 15% cut when you don't mention the 10% raise a couple of years before.

Latest resources

Back