Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T

Towelie

I heard that even though the DC-9's are paid for, they are more expensive to operate because most of the parts have to be machined in house. Is that true?

Why is NWA getting rid of so many 757's? I thought those did a lot of work on the profitable routes like LAS, SFO, etc.

Just trying to figure all this s*** out.

To repeat what is in the filing - they are not necessarily "getting rid" of the entire list of aircraft. They requested that the lease agreements be allowed to be rejected (they were) so they could seek better lease terms.

If the aircraft are not highly desirable to other operators then better lease arrangements are very possible. The owner will want revenue from these airframes and it will be to their advantage to negotiate new terms.

There were several aircraft, 13 I believe, that were identified as being in "storage" now and not flyable. They probably would not seek new terms on them.

Outside of bankruptcy the companies NW deals with do not have to renegotiate lease terms but in bankruptcy the rules change.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Towelie said:
I heard that even though the DC-9's are paid for, they are more expensive to operate because most of the parts have to be machined in house. Is that true?

Why is NWA getting rid of so many 757's? I thought those did a lot of work on the profitable routes like LAS, SFO, etc.

Just trying to figure all this s*** out.

What fly4ever said is correct. Read between the lines.

The 13 aircraft are parked & NWA is paying leases on them. They want outta that now.

The other "102" aircraft are the ones with the highest lease rates. They "say" they're going to park them......but in reality, they want better lease rates. They don't want to get rid of the aircraft. They have the lease Co. by the short hairs...who else wants to lease middle-aged 757s and A320s ? It's a bluff to get better leases. IMO they'll get them.

320AV8R

I know of one purple and orange company that would love to scoop up those airplanes for pennies on a dollar.

capt_zman said:
I know of one purple and orange company that would love to scoop up those airplanes for pennies on a dollar.

///////////////////////////

Last edited:
Well I know a small company (that is owned by NWA) that thought NWA would have transferred some of the older 757 to the Blue tails by now.
Blue tail = Champion.

31 of the aircraft listed are Avro's used at Mesaba.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back