NWA A320 pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Beerme said:
I fly the 'bus for NW and can tell you that we CAN & DO have pilot deferred mx. The problem may be why the APU did an auto shutdown? :confused: Or maybe there was an existing MEL that required an operating APU (deferred generator for instance). :confused: Who knows...only the guys up front...and I'm sure they did the right thing.:) Sorry you missed your connection...but as they say...$hit Happens.

Thats all was asking. Thanks for responding. I assumed there was a deferred program and just thought I would verify. As you could read in my previous posts I doubted that you wouldn't have one. The whole trip was nice and we were treated very well.

flyingitallion,

Sorry your disturbed. It was only a question on what little information I had.

Some can be so sensitive on such a simple question. I would expect more from a fellow employee. If you are one.

There absolutely was no hidden agenda but what more could I expect from some on this forum.

Last edited:
SWAdude said:
SB,

I have worked for six airlines of which three are majors and all of them had pilot deferred maintenance procedures. As I witnessed possibly the other day, it is terribly inefficient without them.

I would still like to here back from someone that flies for NWA.

SWAdude :cool:
I'm not sure what actually happened on your flight, but would suspect it might have not been deferable, if they had to return to the gate & de-power the Airbus. If a reset of a specific system off the gate doesn't work, occasionally you're required to de-power the entire plane & start it back up. It can be a pain at times.

If certain items become inoperative after pushback, we can continue to the destination, write them up, & have them fixed. Some items that break after pushback have to be addressed only by Maintenance & not the crew; requiring a return to the gate. Our MEL is quite specific, & most guys don't return to the gate unless it's necessary to comply with the MEL.

SWAdude said:
flyingitallion,

Some can be so sensitive on such a simple question. I would expect more from a fellow employee. If you are one.

QUOTE]

Your question started out innocently enough but, deteriorated into a diatribe of critical analysis of other operations. As far as expecting more from a fellow employee, I would expect you to call me out if I was out of line, would you not want the same? We are extremely fortunate at SWA, and our humility got us a long way. I think a little humility in this day and age towards others goes a long long way.

RJones said:
Do you do a walk around everytime you get to the gate with the same plane. That would seem to me to be labor intensive and a waste of time.
Just an FYI, all five airlines I've been employed with require exactly that.

Maybe that's the answer all these airlines have been looking for. Once we all stop doing multiple preflights the airlines will become profitable. Yipee, now if I can just get this procedure changed before tommorrow at ATA.;)

flyingitalian said:
SWAdude said:
flyingitallion,

QUOTE]

Your question started out innocently enough but, deteriorated into a diatribe of critical analysis of other operations. As far as expecting more from a fellow employee, I would expect you to call me out if I was out of line, would you not want the same? We are extremely fortunate at SWA, and our humility got us a long way. I think a little humility in this day and age towards others goes a long long way.

I was only inquiring the fact that based on my experience I had a question of whether there was a deferred maintenance program at NWA. One person alluded to the fact that they did not. After that any response I made still cast doubt on that information. I found it so common place of a program I assumed they did but thought I would try to get the fact. My question was answered so thats it. Very simple. And thanks to all who saw this for what it is and gave their explanations.

As for OUR humility, what on earth would have given you any impression about me and my views on our industries depression on a simple question about operational procedures. You spin this discussion to make it look like I am gloating about my job security!!! I have been furloughed once, faced two other furloughs and worked for a bankrupt carrier. I am one that feels more fortunate than you pal. I got news for you also. We are all in this together. You are way way way off the mark.

By the way, why are you being critical of me and not defending our procedures of preflights. Interesting battle you choose. Thanks for your support. I knew I could count on it.

And WHO is being critical. I bought tickets on NWA because I like NWA. Just a simple operational question and you bring it to a job security question. You choose this path. Not me. I know sh#t happens. I said that in my first post.

Best of luck to all of us in this wonderful but unstable profession.

SWAdude said:
By the way, why are you being critical of me and not defending our procedures of preflights. Interesting battle you choose. Thanks for your support. I knew I could count on it.
I know they are great, and everyone I fly with knows they are great and I could care less what the rest of the world thinks.

....and in the interest of keeping family peace and ending this...sorry.

I guess Im a little sensitive when it comes to checkrides from the back.

Is it safe to come back and play in the sandbox now?

320AV8R said:
I'm not sure what actually happened on your flight, but would suspect it might have not been deferable, if they had to return to the gate & de-power the Airbus. If a reset of a specific system off the gate doesn't work, occasionally you're required to de-power the entire plane & start it back up. It can be a pain at times.

If certain items become inoperative after pushback, we can continue to the destination, write them up, & have them fixed. Some items that break after pushback have to be addressed only by Maintenance & not the crew; requiring a return to the gate. Our MEL is quite specific, & most guys don't return to the gate unless it's necessary to comply with the MEL.
320AV8R is right on the mark. Some items you can do a crew deferral, others you can't.

Originally Posted by RJones
Do you do a walk around everytime you get to the gate with the same plane. That would seem to me to be labor intensive and a waste of time.

Yup, you bet. Every flight, same plane or no. NWA and the other 2 airlines I've been at were the same way. Even if you weather divert and only get gas, you MUST complete a pre-flight inspection. The FAA has been VERY clear on this.​

How SWA gets away without doing them when every other airline in the known universe has to comply has been the subject of much conjecture. But in the end, its none of our business.​

Nu

Latest resources

Back