• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA A319 Lands at Wrong Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ELP = Scary. Biggs and ELP very similar.

Wasn't there a crew that not only landed at the wrong field, but actually cobbed the power and blasted back off as if it wouldn't have been noticed?

To all the naysayers, it shouldn't happen, but it does, just like CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain), not lowering the gear, forgetting to set flaps for T/O, etc. Fatigue and complacency. It's not the level of automation on the jet, it's the Steve Canyon flying who says "Field in sight!" at 40 NM and takes a visual without ever looking again at any navaids.

glass house theory

Swede said:
ELP = Scary. Biggs and ELP very similar.

Wasn't there a crew that not only landed at the wrong field, but actually cobbed the power and blasted back off as if it wouldn't have been noticed?

To all the naysayers, it shouldn't happen, but it does, just like CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain), not lowering the gear, forgetting to set flaps for T/O, etc. Fatigue and complacency. It's not the level of automation on the jet, it's the Steve Canyon flying who says "Field in sight!" at 40 NM and takes a visual without ever looking again at any navaids.
If it can happen to these professionals on that day it can happen to any one of us! It is up to us in the community to learn from their mistake and make sure it does not happen to us! Thankfully no one was injured except a couple of egos that have been bruised. I hope the best for the crew as they endure the FAA's wrath

No rocks being thrown here!

Being the idiot that I sometimes can be, I almost landed at the little airport northwest of LIT one time. Gear down three green, flaps full, ignitions, sync off, waiting for impact, man, I can't see Central from here. . . wonder why? There are a lot of small singles here today. . . 2+2=?????I'm an idiot TOGA, LIT here I come for real this time. I made some comment to the tower controller about what a big jackarse I felt like and he said something like "at least you didn't land like so many others." Where's that NASA form?

Needless to say, I take pride in backing up my visual approaches now. I hope someone can learn from my mistake(s). Happy landings (preferably at the intended airport).

Kevin

767-300ER said:
Oops! Airliner Lands At Wrong Airport

Passengers Told Not To Peek

Jun 20, 2004 12:18 pm US/Central

A Northwest Airlines flight that was headed to Rapid City, S.D., landed a few miles off course at Ellsworth Air Force Base, and passengers had to wait in the plane for more than three hours while their crew was interrogated.

Passengers on Northwest Flight 1152, an Airbus A-319 from St. Paul...
Got to watch those Northwest flights ending in "52". On 5 Sep 95 Northwest flight 52 enroute from Detroit to Frankfurt, Germany landed at Brussels, Belgium instead. The only ones surprized were the cockpit crew - the passengers and flight attendents were watching the whole event transpire on the AirShow.

Northwest has had their share of problems - remember the joke:

Question -

"How many Northwest pilots does it take to get a Boeing 727 from Fargo, SD to Minneappolis, MN?"

Answer -

" Three and a fifth."

GV

GVFlyer said:
- remember the joke:

Question -

"How many Northwest pilots does it take to get a Boeing 727 from Fargo, SD to Minneappolis, MN?"

Answer -

" Three and a fifth."

GV
What's even funnier than that? Your geography knowledge! DOH!!!!

Fargo Sd

Fargo, does it really matter where it is? ND, SD, AK, Don't want to be anywhere close.

GVFlyer said:
Northwest has had their share of problems - remember the joke:

Question -

Answer -

" Three and a fifth."

GV
Nothing is funny about a fellow pilots misfortunes.

canyonblue said:
Nothing is funny about a fellow pilots misfortunes.
Common folks lighten up! Yeah this was unfortunate but S++T happens, if I was on the receiveng end I would not be too happy but life goes on. That was a good joke - and the CA of that flight went on to re-apply and finish off his career back in the left seat of the 747 (or at least back at NW).

TWA put a 707 into Ohio State University Airport in 1967. 4000' runway at the time. Brought in the CP from MKC and took out all the seats to get it out of there. If you're ever at OSU, you can see a photo in the lobby of the 707-121 on the ramp next to a tri-pacer, with a pickup truck/ladder next to door L1.

There, but for the grace of God, go I.....

Latest resources

Back