NWA A319 Lands at Wrong Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
KC-10 Driver said:
Yeah, this never could've happened in a Boeing airplane?!

Do you remember the Delta plane that landed at MacDill instead of Tampa? That was a Boeing -- or maybe Douglas -- definitely not Airbus.
If my memory serves me correctly (??), I believe that was a 727 about 26 years ago. No glass cockpit involved here.

U.S Air landed an a320 on 26 in PHL a few years back. I bet that was one scarry ride seeing the terminal approaching that quickly.

Hey guys I can think of many ways to do this in a FMS a/c with a nice map or ND in front of you.How about you put your alt in as desination or dispatch transposes your alt and destination on the release.You would be lined up for the wrong airport in any case and i'v seen both done.

Having flown into RAP many times under 121 ops, all I can say is it's a mistake that sucks, but could have been avoided. Looks like a basic loss of situational awareness. Why this happened we will have to wait and see, but I guess a probable cause could be overdependance on the toys, and a lack of basic airmanship.

Gets worse than that!

What makes things worse, as if they can, the RWY was closed and being painted, the people on the RWY ran off just before the Airbus touched down and nobody was hurt. The NWA crew must have been shooting the VOR 14 into RAP, which brings you directly over the AFB, and if you break out at say about 1000’ AGL you see the AFB straight ahead, and since the runway is almost identical, other than 3 times as wide and 2 times as long, and all the B1’s along the airport.

I wish the crew luck, as anyone that has flown towards RAP from the east can tell you, I hope I would never do that, but I see how someone could.

I don't understand how dependence on glass could be blamed for this mistake.

I rely on glass every day. As per company opps, we back up all visuals with published approaches and crosscheck final approach course fixes on the map display with those on jepp chart. All you got to do then, is to keep your little airplane symbol on the little magenta line and land at the end of it. It's that simple. There is no excuse for aircraft like the bus, with all that information available (not to mention 2 men crew,) to make a mistake like that.

Last edited:
The seven P's

Proper prior planing prevents piss poor performance

Back in the stone age an FB-111 was recovering to KPBG runway 17 at night. The crew spotted rwy 18 at KPLB, which is 4 or 5 miles north of the base, just right of final. They landed but the municipal airport had a runway that was way too short and they went off the end. The crew walked back to the little terminal that was all shut up for the night, climbed the fence, and dropped a dime into the pay phone to call command post. The pilot identified himself as Heat 11 (or whatever the call sign was) and the controller yelled back "That's not funny, we have a plane down!" and he hung up. Sure enough, that was the last of the pocket change carried by the crew and they had to hoof it back toward the base until they could get a ride.

They always told the new tanker guys that this was why the FB-111s had a roll of dimes in the survival kit.

That reminds me of the SR-71 that was scheduled to do a low fly-by at Offutt AFB near Omaha Nebraska.

There's a little airport in Ralston, NE that handles GA and I guess some corporate aircraft. (I may be mistaken, it may have been all GA.) The runway alignments are similar, the centerlines aren't too far separated, but the runway length, width, and surrounding facilities are quite different. As a crowd stood around at Offutt waiting for the airplane to fly by, we were surprised to spot the Blackbird climbing higher and higher as it passed overhead. By the time it got to Offutt, it was high enough that had we not been looking for it, we might not have noticed it but for the loud sound.

As it turns out, the Navigator got 'em close, the Pilot said "I've got it," and the traffic pattern at Ralston got a huge surprise.

Paul Harvey carried the story the following day: "They can count the dimples on golf balls from 60 miles up, but they can't find Headquarters Strategic Air Command!" Naturally, the SR-71 guys were the brunt of many jokes around the Strat Recon Center for quite a while.

:) :) :) :D

Latest resources

Back