• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Number 1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I created a "CommutAir 1" a while back. For a while, CommutAir's route planner (Hi, Joel) just loved to pack similar-sounding callsigns into the same airport at the same time. It was creating a real safety hazard.

Their solution? Start slapping letters on the end of all the flight numbers, and drop the leading digit. So flight 8501 became 801I; 8585 became 585G, and so on. The controllers were reading the "G" as a "6," and calling us 5856. We didn't respond, because we didn't recognize the callsign. It was an unmitigated disaster, and it dragged on for months.

Well, Boston Center finally had enough. A bunch of airplanes took off from Albany, and after about two minutes, we heard this: "OK, listen up. I'm too tired for this today. 585A, you're 8585. 637C, you're 8637..." And so on. It was beautiful.

But back to the topic at hand, I got a call from dispatch one day that we would have an identical callsign as a late inbound, and asked us to change the callsign with clearance delivery so it would be unique. So I changed it to "CommutAir 1." We were the flagship. Flying this embarassing-looking airplane. :D

Latest resources

Back