• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB Final Report on Corporate Airlines 5966

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"A better post could not have been written. I hope that none of my comments came off as insulting the crew, indeed, I think no one here means any disrespect. We really have to learn from this so that we don't lose more guys like these."

- Thank you for the kind words; I can assure you Kim would have welcomed a “debate,” he was a very sharp individual indeed, computer programmer in his previous professional life if my memory serves me right.

"I have no doubt they both were professionals. All of us... And I do mean ALL OF US... Have moments when we are not at our best"

- I agree 100%

"These guys just got caught in one of those moments and events caught up with them. This accident could happen to anyone, be they jet jockeys, freight dogs, scooter trash or weekend warriors. I too am sorry they are gone, as I am sorry that the four friends I have lost in this business are gone."

- I agree with you again. Anyone who says he or she has never violated the sterile cockpit rule or has never used inappropriate language in the cockpit is not being truthful. But that’s not the point here; the idea is to be able to say “let me tell you why you shouldn’t be doing this…” instead of – “they were wrong and I am always right!”

Take care & fly safe,
av80r

AV80R, that was great. Gave me chills. Jon was a great guy too. He was an instructor of mine and then a colleague when I began instructing. He was gone for a little while at Sun World. Then, when they went under, he came back and taught again. After a few months he became one of our check airmen at the flight school. He was actually one of the more difficult ones too. But he was fair. I vividly remember exactly where I was when I heard the news of the crash. His wake wasn't a sad dreary day. It was a celebration that included the dedication of a hangar in his honor. Basically, he was a great friend and a great pilot. And I know that I and all of my instructor friends (and many others) miss him.

All I was requesting with that very first comment I made was a little respect for both Kim and Jon. I've seen how other accidents are sometimes spoken about here and I wanted to try and nip that in the bud. Thats all. I agree in that we should all learn from this. Everyone just try and be safe out there.

After a long day with multiple approaches, fatigue has to be at least a "casual" factor and you would think that the investigators would give it more ink- but it's one of those things that unfortunately, they can't accurately "measure".

It's sad when you get the accident report and read the facts and events as they were played out. What you see is a snapshot in time for individuals in the cold reality of 20-20 hindsight in a comfortable room and a cup of coffee who've compiled the facts and findings into the final analysis.

It's too bad that the aforementioned report will forever be the legacy that the pilots will be remembered by. From the recollections of others who knew the gentlemen, the report portrays a different view of them in that "snapshot" rather than the sum-total of their professional lives. It's a bitter pill to be dissected when things have gone "south" and in some ways, a disservice to their memories. But this is a truth in this business and it's the way that it is.

So now we're to ask, what's the disconnect between the professionals that their peers knew and the guys portrayed in the accident report. How could that happen? Did we just happen to catch them during 15 minutes of laxety?

That's where the fatigue issue comes up. Who of us hasn't turned to our flying partner and said, "Man, I'm having a sinking spell!"? Who hasn't been tired enough to start making mistakes or inattentive or downright silly because of being tired? Perhaps the lesson that this tragedy can teach us all is that in spite of being conscientious and professional, we can all end up "taken out of context" if things go wrong and we can't make them right. The only way to ensure that it doesn't happen, is to be true to ourselves and use the same line to scheduling and management that we hammer into our dating teenagers: "No means NO".

Latest resources

Back