• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB and voice recorders

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Muppets... You could also simply behave as if your mother was in the jumpseat. Then again that might be giving your mother alot of credit... then again maybe not.

Also keep in mind the NTSB doesn't own the CVR/FDR until a defined accident. Your company owns the information and they can access it anytime they want.

So I wouln't be worried about the NTSB. What I'd be worried about is a pax or fellow crewmember raising some kind of flag causing the company to listen to their black box.

Don't want no cocoa and cookies....

Right at rotation:

"What the hell is that? it's disc shaped and brilliantly illuminated!!"

How much of the actual CVR does the NTSB actually release to the public? For instance....what if im discussing the wild stripper/prostitute in Mexico with my FO and suddenly the wing falls off! Will my whole family have that conversation as my going away present?

It will really depend on whether the IIC determines that the conversation had any relevance to the incident\accident. He might include it to show inattention to the job at hand. Most likely it will show up as "3 minutes of unrelated or non pertinent conversation" or some language to that effect. One thing to remember is that the tape itself belongs to the operator. While the public is released only the final transcript, eventually the NTSB will release the tape itself in all it's glory to the airline. We had an accident where there was a lot of conversation that did not make it to the transcript. (very understanding IIC) This conversation involved discussions about the integrity of the CEO, his sexual preferences in farm animals and similar topics. When the tapes finally made it back to the company 18 mos or so later they paid a court reporter to transcribe it and fired the pilot. I think it had to do with the reference to sexual acts with pigs,,,,everybody knew the CEO only did sheep and goats!!!

Also keep in mind the NTSB doesn't own the CVR/FDR until a defined accident. Your company owns the information and they can access it anytime they want.

So I wouln't be worried about the NTSB. What I'd be worried about is a pax or fellow crewmember raising some kind of flag causing the company to listen to their black box.

I believe that British Airways have a "black box" that the pilots turn into the company after every trip. They really have to watch what they say and do.

Hey Rez....I hope I never fly with you, you sound like a true "bang-clicker".....did you honestly say "act like my mom was in the jumpseat"??? Wow, i think Utah is missing one of their Mormons.

Last edited:

Exactly - excellent point.

I'm pretty sure that the recordings are stolen and released without approval from the NTSB. I know for a fact that the NTSB only issues the written transcript.

Latest resources

Back