• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB and Social Media: Friction Escalates in Air Crash Probe

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because even that small piece of "factual" information is still not in full context. Even if there was a takeover at 400 feet, what other details surround that? All it does is give the media and their beloved "aviation experts" something to conjecture on and causes more speculation. Being quiet about it altogether and saying that they are still investigating would be better for all. Then without anything official to go on, the media can speculate all they want but they are limited without any facts at hand. IMO, it would be a lot better without the tidbit release of information.

When the NTSB publishes a preliminary report on an accident, they almost always include kernels of fact that usually (surprise) wind up being critical factors as to the cause of the accident contained in the final report. Been reading them with interest for >30 years, and this is the way they seem to do business at the NTSB.

I for one am very impressed at how well Sumwalt handled the briefings on the UPS accident in BHM, and same with Hersman on the Asiana crash. Very professional, poised, and obvious SME's all.

Do you think perhaps the post 9/11 public mentality has anything to do with NTSB's desire to publish basic facts asap? Alleviating the public's concern about the possible terrorism factor and resultant trepidation about flying may actually HELP all of the airlines carry on business as usual. How about that?

The NTSB does serve the public and while they certainly should strive to maintain their reputation of integrity, the fact is social media is here to stay. The public has an insatiable appetite for information, and remaining mum until the final report just isn't acceptable any more. I see using Twitter to release carefully crafted updates of factual information as an excellent example of the NTSB working to stay connected to a public who communicates in very different ways than it did even a few years ago when this board started.

All that is missing now is instagram pics of the NTSB chair making "duck-lip" poses next to the wreckage.

"OMG, a crash, :-(", etc.

And the premature release of these tidbits of info...add fuel to the FI machine. You guys love it.

You're on FI :)

I agree though 100%. I very much dislike FB and do not participate.

Yeah I knew someone would reply like this. At least on here we are a group of (I know I'll get sh1t for this) "professional" pilots posting on a password accessed forum with common interests. Not taking stupid selfies, pics of our in and out burger or dumbass cat in an clown outfit and posting them for the world to see.

"Our passengers are our first investigators?!"
"On scene reporters?!"

Oh, good lord!!

When the NTSB publishes a preliminary report on an accident, they almost always include kernels of fact that usually (surprise) wind up being critical factors as to the cause of the accident contained in the final report. Been reading them with interest for >30 years, and this is the way they seem to do business at the NTSB.
You're right. That's the point of a preliminary report. Care to show me a link for a preliminary report for the Asiana crash or the UPS crash 2-3 days after the crash at the time they are tweeting tidbit facts? Nope. At that point they haven't even put together a preliminary report, so there's no reason to be blabbering out of context info either.

I for one am very impressed at how well Sumwalt handled the briefings on the UPS accident in BHM, and same with Hersman on the Asiana crash. Very professional, poised, and obvious SME's all.

Do you think perhaps the post 9/11 public mentality has anything to do with NTSB's desire to publish basic facts asap? Alleviating the public's concern about the possible terrorism factor and resultant trepidation about flying may actually HELP all of the airlines carry on business as usual. How about that?

Nothing to do with that. Case in point, the AA 587 crash just 2 months after 9/11. The only important thing they tried to rull out quick was a bomb to alleviate the general public still on edge especially in NYC after 9/11. No where do I recall the NTSB saying just 3 days after the crash that "the FO seems to have hit the rudder pretty hard left, right, left, right, left, and then the sound of a tail coming off is recorded...."

All that came out in due time, through the preliminary report and the public hearing. Those things take time. Today we live in a society that is used to getting things their way and are used to getting answers now, not later. Gone are the days of patience and waiting. And don't use twitter as if it's some gospel for today's social hangout. I don't have a twitter account and hope to never have to read an actual "tweet" besides what I hear on the news. Not every person has a twitter or facebook account.

...Today we live in a society that is used to getting things their way and are used to getting answers now, not later. Gone are the days of patience and waiting.

Very true. And very much in conflict with the traditional careful, meticulous science of accident investigation that we all respect. But society's not going to turn back. I'd suggest it's reasonable for the NTSB to try to meet the demand of the public, as a primary stakeholder, by releasing confirmed factual information as quickly as it can while it completes the formal investigation we are all accustomed to. The early release of the "no bomb" information in AA 587 is a good example.

And while we may not "like" or use them, Facebook, Twitter & other social media are here to stay. Companies/Agencies that aren't already proficient in social media have already been left behind. Even web pages & e-mail are probably yesterday's news & on the way out.

I'm just saying I think the NTSB has done a pretty good job of keeping up with modern society, both in demand for "information now" and in communicating in multiple ways, while maintaining their integrity and reputation

(and no, I don't work for them. I just like the work they're doing)

Latest resources

Back