Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB also looking at pilot compensation!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a former check airman at a regional the best student I trained had less that 400 hours on day one of IOE. The worst had over 2500 hours of flight time and an ATP.

Total time is not always the best indicator. Its the quality of the flight time. I do believe a mininum should exist which would hopefully raise the bar with pay. Econ 101 fewer ATP's equal higher demand for their services. Works with oil right?

Good point. And both pilots on 3407 met ATP total time requirements.

Wow, nice knee jerk reaction.
While I agree, it sounds like a good idea.
Let's think about this. 3 regional carriers in deadly crashes in the last 5 years. All died, except for an FO. But they were all fairly high time guys during the crash, just this Colgan flight was a "virgin" crew.
If they didn't know what they were doing was wrong at the amount of time they had now, they wouldn't know any better in 5,000 from now.
What about all those crashes before these 3 regional flights? How about all those major airlines crews who had 40000 hours combined? American Airlines where the high time FO kicked the tail off the airplane? All high time guys.
I don't see raising the requirements keeping airplanes from falling into the ground.
It will just shut up the guys who are jealous that pilots are getting hired with less time that was required when they applied

Unfortunately, I think you are correct. Passengers will pound their chest and demand change right up to the point that it cost them money. As consumers, we are our own worst enemy.
A week later and not even a peep on the news.

Latest resources

Back