• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NPA Forum shut down?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
what is the address of BD's site, how do you become a member? I am a new F.O. and would like to take part

Allied Pilots Association Files Complaint for Declaratory Judgment: "We Are Committed to Using Legal Methods for Mitigating Pilot Furloughs"

What does our pilot union do when the company threatens terminations in violation of our current contract? It does not got to court, file injunctions, or file a complaint to the federal mediator. What does the NPA do? It gives the company concessions in LOA 9. Then it freaks out when their fellow brothers get upset and sign a petition for Member ratification. So the NPA puts out a lot of propeganda against MEMRAT and shut down the main website where we can get information about what is going on at the company. And that is not even the most screwed up thing going on around here right now.

Allied Pilots Association Files Complaint for Declaratory Judgment: "We Are Committed to Using Legal Methods for Mitigating Pilot Furloughs"

What does our pilot union do when the company threatens terminations in violation of our current contract? It does not got to court, file injunctions, or file a complaint to the federal mediator. What does the NPA do? It gives the company concessions in LOA 9. Then it freaks out when their fellow brothers get upset and sign a petition for Member ratification. So the NPA puts out a lot of propeganda against MEMRAT and shut down the main website where we can get information about what is going on at the company. And that is not even the most screwed up thing going on around here right now.

Not that I'm a pro/against NPA person one way or the other, but why not post the entire article of APA's lawsuit instead of the headline. If you go to the thread devoted to the headline you will see that the APA is tryng legal means to ask AA pilots not to pick up open time. Thats all. It's not a court injunction to stop furloughs.

Lets say the NPA did file a court injunction for the firing/furlough thing. You think that it would have been heard rather quickly in court (say by Sept. 7th) or would it drag on for a while. Meanwhile our guys would have been fired and while the NPA was in court trying to turn "firing into furloughs", (which is probably the best they would be able to do by the way), the junior pilots would be gone. Then when hiring resumed if/ever, all management would have to do is just hire new people to replace the ones that were fired.

On a somewhat related note, the other day I was in the crew room and overheard a conversation between Pete and one of our failry senior Capts. This guy was ripping Pete for LOA # 9. Telling him that we shouldn't have done it. We should have negotated better stuff for the guys that would be left on the property ratherthan the 180 that would fired and on and on and on. I must say Pete handled himself very professionaly and listened to the senior Capts. concerns intently. Than the guy says " I really don't care about the junior pilots, all they are is just a number to me and management". Pete just looked him right in the eye and said "See my friend, thats the problem. To you they are just a number, to me they are all faces". The look on the senior Capts. face was worth it. He went on his merry way

Did you kick him in the nutsack as he walked away? (The Senior CA I mean).

Honest to God, I only met 2 or 3 of these guys when I was there. Most of the CA's I flew with, even the senior ones, were class acts. Will be good when age finally removes the last of them who were affiliated with a certain other airline.

That aside, you have to admit, the NPA has NOT pursued ALL legal remedies to fix the many outstanding issues that keep popping up. They want to pursue a mentality of "mutual solutions to problems" with management.

That really doesn't work when management does what they do with our contract, with our schedules, with our pilots... all one has to do is look at the last 30 days of threats and intimidation to realize that "playing nice" isn't working.

I humbly submit: a new approach is needed...

Last edited:
Not that I'm a pro/against NPA person one way or the other, but why not post the entire article of APA's lawsuit instead of the headline. If you go to the thread devoted to the headline you will see that the APA is tryng legal means to ask AA pilots not to pick up open time. Thats all. It's not a court injunction to stop furloughs.

Lets say the NPA did file a court injunction for the firing/furlough thing. You think that it would have been heard rather quickly in court (say by Sept. 7th) or would it drag on for a while. Meanwhile our guys would have been fired and while the NPA was in court trying to turn "firing into furloughs", (which is probably the best they would be able to do by the way), the junior pilots would be gone. Then when hiring resumed if/ever, all management would have to do is just hire new people to replace the ones that were fired.

On a somewhat related note, the other day I was in the crew room and overheard a conversation between Pete and one of our failry senior Capts. This guy was ripping Pete for LOA # 9. Telling him that we shouldn't have done it. We should have negotated better stuff for the guys that would be left on the property ratherthan the 180 that would fired and on and on and on. I must say Pete handled himself very professionaly and listened to the senior Capts. concerns intently. Than the guy says " I really don't care about the junior pilots, all they are is just a number to me and management". Pete just looked him right in the eye and said "See my friend, thats the problem. To you they are just a number, to me they are all faces". The look on the senior Capts. face was worth it. He went on his merry way

The APA thread was the next thread on this forum when I took the quote. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Furlough/Fire, who cares. You still are on the street either way. The only thing that LOA did was put an additional 20 people on the street that could have been in the training department. Just like LOA 8 put additional people on the street by making pilots do recurrent at home on their days off. Seems like the only thing the union has done so far is ensure more people on the street and reduce the benefits of the people who stay.

Loa 9 is what it is. But I just read we don't need to furlough any FA now and it went from we must furlough pilots to we may have to furlough. I still dont think we are going to furlough anybody. But then again I dont know much.

Folks it is during times like these you see what kind of people you work with. Everyone can say how great everyone is when you are taking airplanes and hiring. But it is during a crisis you see peoples true colors. I've been furloughed and it hurts and I don't wish it on anyone. We live in some tough times right now. All I ask is when tough decisions must be made, be honest and treat people with dignity and respect. That is something that has been missing through all this!

But I just read we don't need to furlough any FA now and it went from we must furlough pilots to we may have to furlough. I still dont think we are going to furlough anybody. But then again I dont know much.

I hope you're right but keep in mind that they've had 100+ FA's quit in the past few weeks or so.

I hope you're right but keep in mind that they've had 100+ FA's quit in the past few weeks or so.
Yup.

Methinks they said that to:

a.) Accurately reflect the fewer people they are going to have on staff because so many have left and,

b.) Stop the mass exodus of flight attendants out the door. They're starting to have a hard time covering trips.

Hope the pilot furloughs aren't necessary, either. I've seen numbers posted that show they're needed and also numbers showing they're NOT needed. Who knows...

Latest resources

Back