Now What?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Never Trust A Monkey
Alright...I'm stumped. I've got the bug to start flying for a living again, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how people can maintain a stable life at a regional airline. They all sound so hopeless around here. Is it possible to work for a stable regional while living in FL? It would seem ASA would be best, but all I see is doom and gloom. Comair would work great, but just like ASA, it seems like that place is about to fall apart. CapeAir would be fun, but can't live in Key West (too far). Don't think Mesa would be a smart move....could be wrong though. For comparison...I fly a 421 now at $50K a yr.

My one question for you: What would you do with 2600/1900 hours but had to stay in central FL?

......maybe just keep my go-nowhere job just for the money...

Mike

Go corporate, you wont find a job at a regional starting 50k. If you can punch through the first year then the second year isnt bad if you go to the right regional.

I don't expect $50K to start. Afterall, it took me over 3 years to make that flying pistion twins. The money is not the most important issue, but rather I need something stable and safe. I gettin real tired of pushing around pistons part 91. The safety of part 121 looks real nice!

I'd recommend looking into the turboprop fractional Avantair. Based in St. Pete. Try looking for info on them on the fractionals board. Last I heard, first year pay better than any regional, 7 on 5 off or something like that.

Heyas,

Whenever I think about getting back into aviation, I go out in the garage and hit myself repeatedly with a large hammer.

Hurts like hell, but feels GREAT when I stop.

That is aviation in a nutshell.

Nu

Take a look at Allegiant Air. Bases in Sanford and St Pete, FL and all trips are day trips. Good luck!

If you are current try NetJets. New Hires are going to PBI with 7 on 7 off, you would only need to make the drive twice a month. Start at $39000 base, more for extended days, per diem ect and no deductions for insurance. All told you first year you should be able to pull down about $45000, more if you want to sit on reserve. Much better company to work for than any regional.

The safety of part 121 looks real nice!

Safety of 121???? If you mean the level of regulation or the "Takeoff with engine failure and fix it in the air" part, sure. But the main part of the message was something to the effect of "stable".

If you have a good marriage, it will get better. If it's a bad one, it'll end sooner rather than later. Stablility in job? Not at the regional level ecspecially with all the talk of merger's. Look at Skyway, those guys will all be out of a job if Air Tran takes the reins there. No such animal as "stability" at the job level here bro.

Safety of 121???? If you mean the level of regulation or the "Takeoff with engine failure and fix it in the air" part, sure. But the main part of the message was something to the effect of "stable".

If you have a good marriage, it will get better. If it's a bad one, it'll end sooner rather than later. Stablility in job? Not at the regional level ecspecially with all the talk of merger's. Look at Skyway, those guys will all be out of a job if Air Tran takes the reins there. No such animal as "stability" at the job level here bro.

I'll take the safety over stability of course :). However, the thought of spending another couple years bouncing around from job to job, location to location, and fighting to make more than $30K sounds ridiculous. Is that pretty much the standard now? It seems like there are only two options: Fast upgrade with low pay, or long upgrade with better pay.

Latest resources

Back