• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Now that was pretty cool!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's becoming readily apparent that I need to stick it out and get out more!!!:beer:

Saw a Delta rocket launch one night as we passed abeam the Cape. Thought I was seeing a Shuttle launch when the SRB's separated. Also thought it was going to pass over the top of us until it finally headed off shore.

Took off Rwy 5 from Norfolk VA one afternoon and looked down in time to see a Boomer leaving the Navy base. Could see the guys on the sail in their orange jackets. Saw the Aegis class ship following him as well (looked straight down onto his helicopter deck from @ 500ft).

Saw a big meteor one night in Nov 2003 over NY state after it had broken into several pieces and passed right over us. Looked like a trail of very bright landing lights moving very fast.

Numerous other Boomers off shore (those from higher altitudes), especially off Florida. A few more very big meteors, most at night, one during the day (it was green).

You're right, it's quite a show.

Took off Rwy 5 from Norfolk VA one afternoon and looked down in time to see a Boomer leaving the Navy base. Could see the guys on the sail in their orange jackets.

You're right, it's quite a show.

That reminds me of the Fast Attack Sub I saw coming out our Grotten. I had taken off from Fishers Island and was overhead at about 500'. Did a 360 overhead and the guy on the bridge threw me a salute. I reciprocated of course!!!

Two separate Shuttles being piggy-backed to the Cape in the same day, within 2 hours of each other. Happened back in 2000ish.

Descending into Denver from the East one morning during sunrise, passing between several thin broken layers of clouds that were illuminated by the rising sun in the most brilliant oranges, pinks, purples, and golds that I've ever seen.

I've seen a boomer surface from less than 1000' and plenty of whales and fish. Seeing a sun set while in between layers of clouds and all the ensuing colors was pretty cool too. I'm going to miss that.

Good on ya boys, this is why I so desperately want this damn career to survive!

Beats a freakin desk job anyday, trust me!!

Not so much flying related, but on my way to Okinawa, parked next to KAL 007 in Anchorage while getting gas. It was shot down 3 hours later. I can still envision looking at the passengers moving about in the cabin. Very sad!

Not visually related but something I heard on the radio...

I was returning to EWR from YYT a few years back. We were in the flow of aircraft returning to the States from Europe. There was a "Reach" Air Force transport on frequency with us all morning. When Moncton handed us off to Boston Center, the Reach pilot asked the controller if his name was "Steve" (or something similar). He replied yes and the pilots asked him to standby. The next voice on the radio was a young female who replied, "Hi Dad!" They talked for a few minutes and apparently she was returning home from a tour in Iraq. Before he was relieved (he was obviously pretty choked up), everyone on frequency thanked that girl and her family for their sacrifice.

Thinking about that story still gives me goose bumps...did I mention it was Christmas?

Last edited:
Flying so far north on a crossing that you're underneath the northern lights. And I saw the same northern lights show abeam JAX that you saw, Ticker. Unbelieveable and awesome!

Making an eastbound crossing on or about the summer solstice; watching the sun set out the left window and less than 90 min later watching rise out the left windshield without it ever getting dark.

The first approach to the checkerboard followed by the right turn to land on RW13 @ Kai Tak.

Latest resources

Back