Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
A quick question, non-aviation related... I'm researching the purchase of a notebook computer and was wondering what the difference is between say a Pentium 4 Processor running at 2.0 GHz. and a Celeron Processor running at 2.0 GHz... Other than a couple hundred dollars.

I just want to use Microsoft Office, watch DVD's, surf the web, etc... No high end gaming. Would I be able to tell the difference or should I spring for the Pentium 4 ?.?.?

Hoping someone tech savy chimes in here, thanks in advance...

major big diff between the celeron and the P4

P4 is much faster, but faster = heat and shorter battery life...

P4 Mobile is a little better, but not much.

You might want to look at the new Centrino chips. Built in wireless, lower voltage and great battery lifes. Not the power of the P4HT but much much better than Celeron. If batt life is important to you, Centrino is the ticket!

Celeron is fine for what you describe, I have used a Celeron notebook - but its not worth the 100-200 difference. It works, but thats about it...I suggest NOT buying the Celeron. Celeron notes are lower end, and come with low-end integrated video, etc.. and become outdated quick.

Me personally, I like the P4 desktop chip in notebooks - but I plug in anywhere I go and I take care to keep dust out of it to prevent heat (slows you down)...I have a 2.8Ghz P4 note with 1 gig ram and its just like a desktop..fast. You can move files or download neked chik movies at lightnin' speed!!! (if thats your thing)

Look for a brand name with P4, P4mobile, or the Centrino - 15 inch SXGA screen, and go for a LEAST 512mb RAM with Windows XP.....
you should be able to do this for 1000-1300 bucks at Dell or Compaq. I personally like IBM but they are pricy. Have had all 3 mentioned and never a problem with ANY. Hard to beat Dell for the price. You may hear complaints about Dell, but thats simply b/c they sell 5X the computers anyone else does...

PS - Laptops will always seem slower b/c most come with slow hard drives..4200 rpm..if you really want speed, you have to get a fast hard drive -- no matter what chip you decide!! -- but again, this gets the price up a few hundred bucks...so we could be getting carried away here..

good luck!

Last edited:
I am leaning towards a Toshiba Celeron running at 2.8 GHz. If I can find a comparible P4 machine within a couple hundred buck I'll go for it...

As for brands, I ordered a machine from Dell and just called to have them pick it up and return my money... It arrived at my home, I opened it up, plugged it in, and hit the power button only to find that it does NOTHING... By that I mean it didn't even make a sound. After one week they can't even tell me with any certainty when the replacement will arrive. On top of it all, every time I call customer care I get someone in either India or Argentina who I can't understand a word they're saying. Even if I could, they just tell me the thing will get here sometime between 2 to 3 weeks... SORRY, UN-ACCEPTABLE!!! It would seem under the circumstances they should be able to resolve the situation a bit more expeditiously. So I guess I'll just drive to the closest Best Buy and pick one up. Thanks for your input.

For what its worth--have you thought about a mac?

I use a ibook g4 and love it. customer service is great.

just thought i would offer another choice.

OK. geez another fine dell experience!

keep in mind that wireless internet is becoming the standard on the road - which is great - its usually free! - thats a big plus for Centrino chips. the wireless is built in.

with the Celeron machine you may have to add a 50-100 card and have it hanging out of your computers PC slot. Seems like no big deal, but it does get annoying after a while.

just another thing to consider...

Good Luck w/ your choice!

I also agree w/the MAC suggestion! they are simply superior. but they are also more bucks!! -- I also saw Gateway is lowering prices to try and compete with Dell..check em out..

P.S. for whats it worth...I find Circuit citys, Best Buys, Walmarts, etc..to be pretty bad choices for PC purchases...many times they dress up a crappy chip (celeron) with some RAM memory and sell it overpriced...but again....thats JUST an opinion...and you know what they say about opinions..

:D

Last edited:
Dell

I just bought a Dell Inspiron D500. It has the Centrino chip, Pentium M 1.2Ghz processor, and built-in wireless LAN card. It's not a "powerhouse", but perfect for what I wanted (and that sounds the same for you.) It's got a long battery life (usually 3-3.5 hours), and it's a small, lightweight machine. I think having the wireless capability is a huge plus, especially since more and more hotels are getting wireless technology. You can pick one up for under $1000. So far, MY experience with Dell has been a positive one - even though I had my preconceptions of their customer support from other buyers. The Latitude series notebooks are under the small business section.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the input, I just picked up a Compaq P4 2.4 GHz with 512 MB RAM 40 GB HD, 15 in Monitor.... You guys were right about getting the integrated wireless feature, VERY nice. We'll see how it works out... Thanks again...

hey great!

good luck with it!

I had a Compaq note a few years back...it took quite a beating on the road, and one day my dog knocked it off the table and the AC cord plug in snapped off the case! - could no longer charge it!

I sent it to Compaq figuring they would laugh at me and send it back, considering how beat up it looked....obvious user damage...

well it came back within a week, new plug in back, new power cord, and a note saying we fixed it even though it was 2 or 3 weeks out of warranty (std 1 yr!)

I was very impressed

Latest resources

Back