• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not the customer.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tonala2K, I think both your previous posts are accurate. I have no instructor experience except as a user. I suspect that instructing well requires continuous evaluation of the student / instructor relationship and I don't have to worry about how I relate to different learning styles. It is obvious that to acheive the best learning experience both parties have to buy in and both have to appreciate the contribution of the other.

Tonala2k said:
Enough with the clichés about clichés. Swallow this. If the student does not feel that he/she is learning, the instructor has more teaching to do. Maybe not about aviation, but about why they're doing what they;re doing. FOI, learning is purposeful. It is by no means the student's responsibility to learn the way the CFI can teach. It is the CFI's responsibility to teach in a way the student can learn. The student is in charge. There's a difference between 'tough love' and being arrogant about your way of teaching. I pride myself that I have 40hr students, and 80 hour students. Not everyone will learn the same way or rate. You sound like the crap instructors we hire who think that everyone should approach aviation from a professional pilot stand point. Not the case.

About scheduling, I tell my students to schedule only 2 lessons per week. Two fold. I know that they are busy with jobs, family, church, school and so on. There's no way that if they came out more than twice per week that they would be getting enough time at home to study to keep it balanced. All fly and no books doesn't work. Second reason why is that I have so many students that the crap instructor refuse to teach because they're not 'golden' students. Get off your high horse and learn to teach. That's what you're paid to do.

You get paid?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back